This thing was in my parking space today!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I still remember when the concept of big cars came crashing down after the oil crisis. Even car manufacturers were baulking at what they were doing. Japanese car manufacturers began to move factories into the heartland of the US.

Funnily it was the Japanese that years later moved into SUV and people movers. The Americans followed suit.

I am all for high taxes for gas guzzlers. No place in the World we live in.

Disappointed. I was expecting to see something like...

View attachment 621460
or
View attachment 621459
I thought it was going to be funny
unnamed.jpg

http://viz.co.uk/tag/thing/

Drago

Legendary Member
I am all for high taxes for gas guzzlers. No place in the World we live in.
Last year I did 990 miles between MOTs in my planet killing, ozone depleting, sea level rising, endangered species slaughtering, monster truck.

I've done a lot less damage, churned out a lot less pollution, contributed to a lot less congestion that someone that has done 2000 miles in a Pious, and most people do nearer 10,500 a year.

Indeed, my "gas guzzler" returns much the same MPG as daughter number 3's 1.0 litre Ford turbo, yet you wouldn't blink twice at someone driving a modest Fiesta.

Mr's D's old 2.5 tonne plug in hybrid "gas guzzler" returned over actual 100MPG in use. What does your car return, we would very much like to know?

That being the case, let he (or she, I'm sure you're all equal opportunities polluters) who is not currently sinning cast the first stone.

That people who complain about "gas guzzlers", many of which actually use less fuel than city cars, themselves drive cars and pollute, often for much higher mileages, shows an inconsistency in their argument. Therefore, there must be some other motivation for such repeated, strident complaining, and I reckon it's nothing more than envy. You can't afford a £77,000 car (in the case of Mrs D's recently departed 100+ MPG SUV) so you invent facile reasons as to why no one else should own one.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Last year I did 990 miles between MOTs in my planet killing, ozone depleting, sea level rising, endangered species slaughtering, monster truck.

I've done a lot less damage, churned out a lot less pollution, contributed to a lot less congestion that someone that has done 2000 miles in a Pious, and most people do nearer 10,500 a year.

That being the case, let he who is not currently sinning cast the first stone.

Indeed which is why removing the tax limit on fuel is the way forward.

DRM

Guru

Indeed, my "gas guzzler" returns much the same MPG as daughter number 3's 1.0 litre Ford turbo, yet you wouldn't blink twice at someone driving a modest Fiesta.

Mr's D's old 2.5 tonne plug in hybrid "gas guzzler" returned over actual 100MPG in use. What does your car return, we would very much like to know?

That being the case, let he (or she, I'm sure you're all equal opportunities polluters) who is not currently sinning cast the first stone.

That people who complain about "gas guzzlers", many of which actually use less fuel than city cars, themselves drive cars and pollute, often for much higher mileages, shows an inconsistency in their argument. Therefore, there must be some other motivation for such repeated, strident complaining, and I reckon it's nothing more than envy. You can't afford a £77,000 car (in the case of Mrs D's recently departed 100+ MPG SUV) so you invent facile reasons as to why no one else should own one.
We had this nonsense years ago, tax 4x4’s off the road they all bleated, the government had already brought in emissions levels for the use of taxing company car benefit in kind purposes, so they did as the moaning masses wanted, raising the cost of the annual tax disc for certain vehicles, including the likes of Mondeo’s and other supposedly more environmentally friendly family cars because guess what, they were as bad if not worse then some out and out off roaders with the rubbish that came out of the exhaust pipe

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do away with VED completely. Introduce some form of pay per mile tax system, applicable to all vehicles, including foreign registered. They all cause congestion, and they all pollute to some extent. Double the charge for electric cars, just to wipe the smug look off the owners faces.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just looked up the prices of 2015 Bentleys. That number plate must be very expensive if it's worth more than the car!
https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-U...worktype=g&device=c&devicemodel=&adposition=&
Mind you, if the plate cost say £5000 it does the job of disguising the 'age' of the car. To me it looked almost new.
Ummm you can probably add at least one 0 to your 5000 for 2 numbers and a letter, going on what similar is up for sale at
https://www.carreg.co.uk/buy-number-plates/stock-list/

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Do away with VED completely. Introduce some form of pay per mile tax system, applicable to all vehicles, including foreign registered. They all cause congestion, and they all pollute to some extent. Double the charge for electric cars, just to wipe the smug look off the owners faces.

Quadruple for a 4 seater with 1 occupant and go up from there.

Top Bottom