This thing was in my parking space today!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Pay per mile linked to vehicle kerb weight and number of axles would be the most equitable. The road haulage lobby would certainly rail against such a scheme.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/how-much-damage-do-heavy-trucks-do-our-roads

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
We had this nonsense years ago, tax 4x4’s off the road they all bleated, the government had already brought in emissions levels for the use of taxing company car benefit in kind purposes, so they did as the moaning masses wanted, raising the cost of the annual tax disc for certain vehicles, including the likes of Mondeo’s and other supposedly more environmentally friendly family cars because guess what, they were as bad if not worse then some out and out off roaders with the rubbish that came out of the exhaust pipe

It wasn’t just about pollution it’s also the disproportionate road space they take up. But then all cars have been getting wider and reducing road space.

21F7E72D-4079-49F3-A115-5C8BBD456C3A.jpeg

DRM

Guru
Do away with VED completely. Introduce some form of pay per mile tax system, applicable to all vehicles, including foreign registered. They all cause congestion, and they all pollute to some extent. Double the charge for electric cars, just to wipe the smug look off the owners faces.
Doesn’t work with regard to foreign HGV’s, have you seen the size of the fuel tanks on Eastern European trucks, they carry at least 900 litres, and are under instruction that if they fill up in the UK at our prices they will get sacked, they fill up at cheaper outlets in continental Europe, then come back here.
As for EV’s they’re going to get walloped in tax to make up for all the lost revenue from ICE vehicles

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
It wasn’t just about pollution it’s also the disproportionate road space they take up. But then all cars have been getting wider and reducing road space.

View attachment 621511
Modern cars are are bloat mobiles due to it being the only way they can fit all the mandatory safety items in them, a Volvo 145 was considered huge, now they are quite small compared to a V70, my Disco was big, but nowhere near as bloated as as an Audi/BMW SUV, yet it was capable of going places those German things had no chance of going, yet it was the devil incarnate despite being able to carry 7 people just about anywhere, even on standard height suspension, and pulled our caravan all over Europe, we got rid of it at 23 years old and 230,000 miles, it didn’t owe us a penny

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is that tattooist any good, Accy?
It always has someone in. It's only been running since about May. Before that it was a photographer's studio for decades. I know the ex (retired now) photographer well. He rents out his former shop to the tattooist and has another rental shop on the street, so he still has a nice income.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One of the other shops is Louise Tattersall. An unfortunate name considering she appears to offer her services as "clothing alterations". :ohmy:
She doesn't though! I asked her last Wednesday if she could sew 6 buttons on a jacket. She told me she doesn't do clothing alterations.:unsure:

Jealous of big car owners? BS! Even when I had a 1 litre fiesta I was never interested in large, expensive cars. They simply never met my needs in any way. I've only ever been interested in practical cars into which I can chuck the kit for various activities I was into without worrying about it's effect on value. Simply because I bought at £5k and sold for scrap value. They got me, my kit and usually mates from A to B without problems. They were small enough to park up in places big cars couldn't and I never worried about dents.

Now I've got a partly converted van. I also drive very little. The old car is a 10 mile skip journey every month or so. The van gets used maybe a couple of 5 mile journeys a week week. Rest of the time we walk, bike and train it to get anywhere.

Personally its up to you what you drive and how far too. Everyone here knows the effects their vehicle use makes towards the overall climate change. It's still your choice. The only issue I have is with anyone who thinks they drive a mini. If its a mini built under BMW it's not a mini. I passed my driving test in an old shape 1984 mini Mayfair. They were very close to the original issigonis designed mini. Anything that isn't that similar isn't a mini. I call mini one BMW put out a BMW 0.5 series. It's offensive to call it a mini to me.

BTW they are good to drive and not bad cars plus the company I work for has supplied parts to all versions since BMW first put them out. So I appreciate the cars just not a mini. If you've ever driven the original mini you'd probably understand the heart of a true mini, BMW never got there IMHO.

One thing about Bentley I hate is the side mirrors. I hit one at slow speed when on my bike. I was sidling up the inside of stationary traffic to get FYI the front of roadworks. If you don't have cars behind you going through you'll end up with cars coming at you as the lights weren't on green long enough for even a 15mph cyclist. Anyway I hit the wing mirror because they pulled in tight obviously to stop me passing. I but it hard enough to break most mirror but not a Bentley one. I have visions of a careless Bentley driver ploughing through drystone walls on a country drive through the dales with the side mirror. Seriously there's granite cliffs that are more fragile!

I got home and looked at the cost to buy replacement Bentley side mirrors. Not far off a 5 figure sum!

gbb

Legendary Member
Who cares what other people buy? Besides miserable gits and keyboard warriors ofc.
I the case of the MD in my post, a self made multi millionaire with an at the time highly successful, profitable business, who used to fly by Concorde, who owned villas in S Africa, the Caribeaan, Spain, Cyprus, a penthouse apartment in Newcastle, who rewarded his employees who helped him be profitable with their commitment, rewarded them very very generously, what would people see him in, a Mondeo ?
Quite right someone who is sucessful should reap their rewards...imho.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If I could afford it, I would probably have something exotic to drive about in. Or several exotic things to drive about in. Possibly a Bentley like the one in the OP, and an Aston Martin of some description.
I'm talking multi millionaire territory here, in which case I wouldn't be caring about depreciation or repair bills, and a smart accountant would lessen the blow in tax savings anyway.
At the end of the day, you can't take your pounds sterling with you when you go, so might as well enjoy it during your visit to planet earth.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Whay is it Your parking spot???
Heck, lots of question marks there. You've got to understand my 'humour'. I often go into the shop and say "Who the f..k has parked in my place 🧐 ?!! It's a standing joke i have with the shop's owner.

By the way, it wasn't even parked in front of the shop. It was parked a shop down.:okay:

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Heck, lots of question marks there. You've got to understand my 'humour'. I often go into the shop and say "Who the f..k has parked in my place 🧐 ?!! It's a standing joke i have with the shop's owner.

By the way, it wasn't even parked in front of the shop. It was parked a shop down.:okay:
But how would we know that?

Top Bottom