This weeks Soapbox is....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
....a shile of pite :biggrin:
Pitifully typical collection of yah-boo left (but mainly right) wing obsessives
endlessly whittering on the same old fetish-induced phobias...PC, Education, road manners, the daily mail, 4x4's, the BBC, public v private employees, smutty vacuousness...etc etc:rolleyes::biggrin:
All been heard a hundred times before...now I'm as gulity as anyone else of indulging in a bit of mud-slinging over there but every now and again i think why on earth bother......?
who actually reads the posts properly?
has anyone ever changed their minds or stance on any subject?
Is the novelty of endless repetition inexhaustable?

Answers on a postcard please :biggrin:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
It is witheringly dull.

Like watching 12 year olds in the playground shouting "Tis", "Tisn't", "Tis", "Tisn't".

It's not just Soapbox, these topics get trotted out in newspapers, chat shows, other fora, ad infinitum. Soapbox here at least has the advantage of some intelligent reasoned debate even if the main protagonists are in the same trenches as usual: It is occasionally enlightening or thought provoking even for all that but I find that there's more arguing over the problem than there are prospective solutions being suggested.

I do change my mind in threads. It's like a sounding board. You start off on one tack and then when presented with the inescapable logic of another view you realize you've not thought everything through and have to reconsider: 'tis a good excercise.

And yes, this week has been dull.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
it annoys me that some good debates are had, but by page 3 descend into crap slinging between two posters, and everyone gets bored of the thread, and the few insightful posts get ignored, lost in the mire

it's a shame you can't set up sub-threads for these arguments between individuals so as not to thin out the genuine thoughful stuff

Keith Oates

Janner
There are a few members who are so entrenched in their particular dogma that there is no need to read the post once you've seen the name. But every one comes here for pleasure (well most) and relaxation so if that's what lights your fire, so be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps, Yes this week has been a little bit dull and repetitive IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

If there was a bit more open-mindedness then I would take part. I don't think there is a lack of intellect but when views are so entrenched it's just dull. As Alan points out it becomes tit for tat. And as Zimzum says, once the lines are drawn, all that's left to do is insult or rile each other.

Obviously takes a true wit/ intellect/ hard man/ brave soul to insult someone over the internet. True keyboard warriors.

As Keith says, whatever floats yer boat though - and that pish doesn't float mine.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This thread should be in Soapbox.

Oh no it shouldn't...and I'm not budging on that :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tetedelacourse said:
Obviously takes a true wit/ intellect/ hard man/ brave soul to insult someone over the internet. True keyboard warriors.

Back when I was training in martial arts, on certain fora it wasn't entirely unheard of for proponents of different views to meet up and spar - the end result was usually increased understanding and mutual respect.

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
John the Monkey said:
Back when I was training in martial arts, on certain fora it wasn't entirely unheard of for proponents of different views to meet up and spar - the end result was usually increased understanding and mutual respect.

I suspect it could be a epic mismatch with some characters in soapbox...... not much sport in squaring up to some hollow-chested, weasal-eyed, pot-bellied, flabby-jowled, shiney-arsed, 50-something victor meldrew lookalike.....:biggrin:

Gary Askwith said:
I suspect it could be a epic mismatch with some characters in soapbox...... not much sport in squaring up to some hollow-chested, weasal-eyed, pot-bellied, flabby-jowled, shiney-arsed, 50-something victor meldrew lookalike.....:biggrin:
Thinking of anyone in particular? Because I am...:biggrin:
No, I really am, I can't help it.

jonesy

Guru
Gary Askwith said:
....a shile of pite :angry:
Pitifully typical collection of yah-boo left (but mainly right) wing obsessives
endlessly whittering on the same old fetish-induced phobias...PC, Education, road manners, the daily mail, 4x4's, the BBC, public v private employees, smutty vacuousness...etc etc:rolleyes::smile:
All been heard a hundred times before...now I'm as gulity as anyone else of indulging in a bit of mud-slinging over there but every now and again i think why on earth bother......?
who actually reads the posts properly?
has anyone ever changed their minds or stance on any subject?
Is the novelty of endless repetition inexhaustable?

Answers on a postcard please :biggrin:

Well as this forum is a collective enterprise then you'd better bring what you'd like to find! I look forward to your next Soapbox contribution, which will no doubt stimulate, challenge and broaden our horizons! ;)

Crackle said:
I do change my mind in threads. It's like a sounding board. You start off on one tack and then when presented with the inescapable logic of another view you realize you've not thought everything through and have to reconsider: 'tis a good excercise.
I don't think I've ever changed my mind as a result of taking part in a thread, but yes, it does make me think things through. It's very easy to simply assume that knowing that you are right about something, combined with a bit of bloody mindedness, can be a substitute for actually arguing your corner effectively. I'm gradually learning that there is no such thing as victory in Soapbox, but that satisfaction can be gained by knowing I've argued well and not lost my temper.

Top Bottom