Those crazy Dutch guys...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yebbut they don't have a road network, which is mostly Roman, Medieval or Victorian. They have lots of space and nice flat straight roads on a nice soft even silty subsoil.

green1

Über Member
Glow in the dark roads... I wonder what sort of cafe they were in when that brainwave came. :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Amazing to see 'joined up thinking' in action. Imagine a government over here willing and able to trade off the costs of investment in infrastructure with the cost savings thru' accident prevention. Like that's ever going to happen...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yebbut British roads are mostly squeezed into narrow corridors in towns and cities or between banks or walls or hedges or on hillsides whereas Dutch roads are correctly laid out with plenty of space for a separate cycleway alongside. Don't ask me the historical reason why theirs are so much better; all I know is that in the British context things didn't begin to improve until turnpike roads, which are generally wider and better engineered.

Yebbut British roads are mostly squeezed into narrow corridors in towns and cities or between banks or walls or hedges or on hillsides whereas Dutch roads are correctly laid out with plenty of space for a separate cycleway alongside. Don't ask me the historical reason why theirs are so much better; all I know is that in the British context things didn't begin to improve until turnpike roads, which are generally wider and better engineered.

but a lot of the dutch cycle routes are not on roads and when we cycled through the Netherlands, a road map was useless because we spent more time on cycle routes away from roads than cycle lanes on roads.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Quality journalism at work in the description. Road paint already has "reflective" crystals in it, the word they are looking for is "luminous".

MisterStan

Label Required
I was in Uppsala in Sweden some years ago; they were installing heating in the footpaths to keep them free of ice and snow - it was like the underfloor heating that you see fitted in houses now and i believe run off a ground source heat pump.

Top Bottom