Those listening assistant things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4986699, member: 45"]I'm talking Google Home and Amazon Echo. There appears to be a bit of a competition rush on. Both have dropped their prices recently, and both are releasing new models which are pretty cheap.

How long do I wait before I push the button? How real are the concerns about having electronic monitoring listening to everything that goes on in our house?[/QUOTE]
Why would you want one?

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4986699, member: 45"]I'm talking Google Home and Amazon Echo. There appears to be a bit of a competition rush on. Both have dropped their prices recently, and both are releasing new models which are pretty cheap.

How long do I wait before I push the button? How real are the concerns about having electronic monitoring listening to everything that goes on in our house?[/QUOTE]
What have you got to hide? If anything of any interest, MI5 are probably already plugged in ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4986718, member: 45"]Her has a better job than me, so gets back later. So I'm reheating the chicken in the evenings at the moment.[/QUOTE]
Don't overstrain yourself ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4986728, member: 45"]I'm waiting for Alexa to learn to stir.[/QUOTE]
Is she your mistress who comes by when your wife is toiling away at work? ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I keep the new kitchen relatively free from internet gadgetry. Even the DAB radio/CD player/Bluetooth speaker, which is only there to delight tlh, doesn't do wi-fi. Timer is clockwork, manual dimmers, multi-gang manual switching, etc.

The internet of fings is not welcome at my dining table.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I keep the new kitchen relatively free from internet gadgetry. Even the DAB radio/CD player/Bluetooth speaker, which is only there to delight tlh, doesn't do wi-fi. Timer is clockwork, manual dimmers, multi-gang manual switching, etc.

The internet of fings is not welcome at my dining table.
Good planning, if Skynet comes online while you are cooking, you will be the only one of us safe.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
IF it used the recording of my voice, in the kitchen for targeted advertising I dread to think what would appear in my Browser, YT Adverts, Faceache, Twitter and popping up on my phone just as someone else looks at it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4986699, member: 45"]
How real are the concerns about having electronic monitoring listening to everything that goes on in our house?[/QUOTE]
They could probably already do it via your mobile phone/tablet/laptop/Samsung TV*** etc.!

*** My Samsung smart TV has a microphone built in. Supposedly, some people want to tell their TVs what to do rather than use a manual remote control. The information from the mic is sent over the Internet for Samsung to work out what you said, and they then send back instructions to the TV ... :whistle: Yeah, right! :laugh: I turned that off as soon as I found out about it, but Wikileaks said that certain security agencies can secretly turn the mic back on!

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
They could probably already do it via your mobile phone/tablet/laptop/Samsung TV*** etc.!

*** My Samsung smart TV has a microphone built in. Supposedly, some people want to tell their TVs what to do rather than use a manual remote control. The information from the mic is sent over the Internet for Samsung to work out what you said, and they then send back instructions to the TV ... :whistle: Yeah, right! :laugh: I turned that off as soon as I found out about it, but Wikileaks said that certain security agencies can secretly turn the mic back on!
Its also worth pointing out that a great many of us are waking around with a device that contains a camera, a microphone and an internet connection, constantly listening, everywhere we go.

Top Bottom