Thoughts on first ever clipless ride today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Today was the big day in trying my new clipless peddles for the first time ever. After covering nearly 20 thousand miles on flat peddles over 4 years, a cycling friend finally persuaded me to go clipless.
I've always been reluctant to trying them, from all the horror stories you read about them, but the more I've cycled the more I've noticed how sloppy my feet look on the peddles compared to other cycling buddies. My right foot will naturally overhang the side the pedal, and have to make conscious adjustments to keep it in check. After long rides my right knee will also start hurting. I don't whether this is caused by my awkward positioning of my foot on the old School quill peddles.
Last night i fitted up my new Shimano clipless peddles and practise in the privacy of the kitchen clipping in and out. After a few attempts i was starting to get the hang of it. Somehow though whilst holding onto the work top i momentarily lost my balance, and without thinking I didn't unclip in time and ended up falling against the fridge. Didn't help that a few beers had already been consumed. Some good advice was also given here on Cycle Chat on how to set them up properly for idiotic novices like me.
Fast forward to today's ride and what can i say?
Wow what a difference.
Spinning was so much more comfortable. As your feet are clipped in you don't have make subconscious adjustments to keep them positioned properly leaving you to spin the peddles more freely. The float as to where you can naturally move your heel from side to side is effortless because the your shoes are not gripping hard into the pedal anymore. Climbing out the saddle felt better to. Putting down the power felt more safer as i could angle my feet down without worry of them slipping off. As my right foot is now correctly held in position my knee also felt better today.
With the combination of the stiff cycling shoe connected directly to the drive chain, power efficiency felt more positive as opposed to the soft spongy soles of my usual trainers. Clipping in and out didn't raise any dramas either. Still a bit apprehensive about this though especially if i need to clip out in an emergency, but im sure as time goes by i will get more confident.
I'm taking like I've just discovered the invention of the wheel here to the more experienced cyclists, but if like me you've been considering going clipless, i highly recommend it 👍

Slioch

Guru
Welcome to the club:welcome:

BTW, I was not an early adopter. I only finally gave up on toe straps about 12 years ago. But once I'd made the change, I'll never go back.

DSK

I went clipless 6 months ago. Practised in my driveway and then just got on with it and it was bliss. Never had any issues in 6 months........

Until bank holiday Friday. 1/2 way through a training ride I oddly felt totalled and decided to stop after a climb. As I slowed, I un-clipped my right. Then I thought, why did I do that when I wanted to unclip my left so I could place that on the kerb.... Brain instructs body to begin leaning left a little just as I realise the bike has already stopped.... had a pathetic tumble down but, saved the bike making contact with the floor. I had a drink and a couple of mins before setting off to finish the ride.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
As complete novice, I'm thinking with clipless peddles you just have to plan ahead your actions before taking them. I time and experience comes hopefully they will become second nature..If i was riding through stop start built up areas with complexed junctions, in sure this clipping in and out thing would be a big issue for me

Sharky

Guru
Glad you found the experience and benefits of clip less. So what's next - padded lycra shorts? They make you go faster and are more comfortable!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If your riding has lots of stopping and starting you can just use the plain SPD double-sided pedals, which are easier than SPD-SL. SPDs are better off road for that reason and because you can walk in the shoes.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've got enough natural padding on my arris not to warrant padded cycling shorts.. I just make do with the old brown leather thong👀

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As complete novice, I'm thinking with clipless peddles you just have to plan ahead your actions before taking them. I time and experience comes hopefully they will become second nature..If i was riding through stop start built up areas with complexed junctions, in sure this clipping in and out thing would be a big issue for me
It wont. Like anything you just get used to it and it soon becomes second nature.

Chippy Dave

I’m new to road biking and have been thinking about these clipless pedals, my biggest worry is turning right at a T junction, having to push off and clip foot in quite quickly, I’m sure it would easier in practice but it is a concern, but then lots of you cope so.....

Top Bottom