Thoughts on first ever clipless ride today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @Chippy Dave,
I'm no expert by any means as it was my first ride today on them, but i had no problems what so ever clipping in or out. You just read the road situation a little further along to give you time to react. I didn't need to though as it just went smoothly without any dramas. In an emergency where you would have to quickly unclip i think you could probably become unstuck though because your first reaction is to just get your feet off the peddles with out thinking of doing it the correct way..
I highly recommend you give them a go buddy

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Another thing to consider is that if you're at a busy junction and worried about clipping in quickly, you can always just peddle gently along without clipping in, until its safe to do so when the road quietens down

I’m new to road biking and have been thinking about these clipless pedals, my biggest worry is turning right at a T junction, having to push off and clip foot in quite quickly, I’m sure it would easier in practice but it is a concern, but then lots of you cope so.....
Its not a problem just keep one foot (preferably the dominant) clipped in (I have the clip on that foot a little tighter) and just pedal with the other foot on top of the pedal but not clipped in. That foot can be clipped in at later time when you feel comfortable.

Gunk

Guru
It’s easier if you start young, my son has been using SPD pedals since he was 13, he fell off only once and then got straight back in the saddle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Main points to remember;
  • You don't have to clip in. You can just put your feet on the pedals and set off from junctions/traffic lights/etc
  • You WILL have a clipless moment! I had one 4 or 5 yrs ago, and I have been riding clipless since 1990....
  • SPD rules, period! SPD-SL and other road based, single sided clipless pedals are for pro team cyclist wannabes. The simplicity and useability of the SPD system and the compatible shoe soles (that you can safely walk in) trumps all other pedal systems for normal 'mortal' cyclists.
  • In a crash/accident situation, you will part company with your bike. In all my unexpected bike departures, on and off road, including superman like exits over the handlebars and unpredicted fast corner slides down the tarmac, I have without fail subconsciously separated from the pedals. It just happens.
  • Despite all the guff about pedalling efficiency and power transfer on the upstroke, clipless pedals are more efficient. This is due purely because you are not continually micro-adjusting your foot position on the pedal allowing you to pedal properly on each stroke. Over the course of a ride this equates to a substantial increase in the power transferred and a corresponding reduction in tiredness.
  • Clipping in/out at busy junctions is as easy and natural as putting your foot on a flat pedal.
  • You will want the same pedal system on all your bikes so your one go-to pair of cycling shoes works regardless of which bike you take. If you feel the need to groupset match then you can choose between M520s, XT or XTR SPD pedals (I have :rolleyes:).

Spds are bad enough for walking in. Spd-sl look lethal. How do folk find them?
Not sure what you mean? SPDs are like a normal shoe. The Shimano mT71 shoes I have come with a Vibram sole and can be walked in comfortably all day. I ha e even played tennis in them.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The Shimano mT71 shoes I have come with a Vibram sole and can be walked in comfortably all day. I ha e even played tennis in them.

I also have a pair of these. They usually only see use in the colder & damper months. Though I find them a little heavy for other sports. fine for walking/hiking use if you remove the cleats.

Great pair of shoes for the winter months. Sadly discontinued and not replaced with an alternative product.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not sure what you mean? SPDs are like a normal shoe. The Shimano mT71 shoes I have come with a Vibram sole and can be walked in comfortably all day. I ha e even played tennis in them.

My SPDs are comfortable enough, but the cleat is flush with the sole, so just occasionally walking can involve a sudden slip.
I returned a 2nd pair of shoes for having the same characteristic.
Are others more recessed?

DSK

I’m new to road biking and have been thinking about these clipless pedals, my biggest worry is turning right at a T junction, having to push off and clip foot in quite quickly, I’m sure it would easier in practice but it is a concern, but then lots of you cope so.....

I spent an entire weekend thinking of the 'what-if' stuff. Then I just went for a ride around the block a few times deliberately stopping and starting again having to clip in/out. You get used to it amazingly quickly. Thinking about it causes needless stress.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Spds are bad enough for walking in. Spd-sl look lethal. How do folk find them?

SPD-SL is the single-sided system for road use when you don't need to be clipping in and out frequently and you value light weight because the pedals and shoes are about half the weight of an SPD setup. And yes they are awkward for walking and lethal on wet or slippery floors especially when weight distribution is compromised by carrying a tray of coffee and cakes.

SPD is the double-sided system for commuting and mountain biking when you need to clip and unclip frequently and walk safely. But the rubber sole has to be thick in order to create a well for the cleat so the whole setup is quite heavy. OTOH you can walk up and down a mountain with a bike on your shoulder if you wish as the shoes are rugged and the soles grippy as long as you don't plonk the cleat straight on a rock. They do sometimes make a satisfying grinding noise on rocks, which is what I imagine tricouni-nailed boots were like before Vibram soles were invented.

The most lethal combination is SPD cleats mounted on an SPD-SL road shoe, which is possible because some road shoes do have the two-hole mounting plate as well as the three-hole. The small steel cleat projects down so that every step risks a skid or a broken ankle and damages floors. It's the worst of both systems combined.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
SPD-SL is the single-sided system for road use when you don't need to be clipping in and out frequently and you value light weight because the pedals and shoes are about half the weight of an SPD setup. And yes they are awkward for walking and lethal on wet or slippery floors especially when weight distribution is compromised by carrying a tray of coffee and cakes.

SPD is the double-sided system for commuting and mountain biking when you need to clip and unclip frequently and walk safely. But the rubber sole has to be thick in order to create a well for the cleat so the whole setup is quite heavy. OTOH you can walk up and down a mountain with a bike on your shoulder if you wish.

The most lethal combination is SPD cleats mounted on an SPD-SL road shoe, which is possible because some road shoes do have the two-hole mounting plate as well as the three-hole. The small steel cleat projects down so that every step risks a skid or a broken ankle and damages floors.
That sounds a terrible idea!

But the problem i described is spd cleats in spd shoes, not being recessed enough to avoid slips.

Is that a common problem or have I been unlucky?

Gunk

Guru

But the problem i described is spd cleats in spd shoes, not being recessed enough to avoid slips.

If you do want to convert from the SPD SL road shoe to regular SPD cleats, Shimano sell a conversion kit, my son uses these on his road shoes as he prefers the reversible SPD/platform pedals so he can also ride in regular trainers.

screenman

Legendary Member
Been using clipped in since about 1989, bought a set in a Saturday and did a cross race on the next day, never given much thought to clipping in or out it just happens. If you drive a car when was the last time you had to think what your feet were doing?

Globalti

Legendary Member

Not common but as Vickster writes, it can happen occasionally. Just go to cafés with carpet!

Skiers suffer the same problem especially at lunch time carrying loaded trays around on wet polished stone floors in mountain restaurants. Every skier has suffered or witnessed a clattering crash. It's one reason why I prefer ski-touring boots as they have rubber soles for walking.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I also have a pair of these...... Great pair of shoes for the winter months. Sadly discontinued and not replaced with an alternative product.
Have had mine about 5yrs and still in good shape despite covering approx 4k a year of all weather commuting. Have been looking for a replacement in readyness for when these do eventually wear out and hoping Shimano produce an equivalent shoe before then 🤞

Top Bottom