Thoughts on first ever clipless ride today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
I think I've been lucky. I've never retightened clear bolts after attaching them and never had one come lose. Though I do always carry a spare cleat bolt in my mini bike toolkit.
I think it was @GetFatty who lost a cleat bolt on one of our rides that prompted me to carry the spare bolt.
Yep it was indeed me. Can't remember which ride it was though, might have been an Essex one

It was back in 1989 that I got my first racing bike with toe straps and joined the shaved legs racing fraternity! I did the almost obligatory falling off at traffic lights - more than once - before I learned to track stand but got used to them. Clipless arrived for me a couple of years after that and I've always preferred them, even on my MTB.

Still, while it is intuitive and natural for me to unclip if I fall to my left, if I do so on my right it is a 50/50 whether I'll unclip or not! :laugh:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Since Sunday just gone, I've done around 180 miles on them without any dramas. Ive kept the tension set to the lowest and now feel it's like second nature to clip in and out. This is the dangerous time now "i think"
as i may become a little over confident or complacent. Using MTB clipless peddles on my road bike seems to work just fine. I was worried the small footprint of the peddle would cause some discomfort as in pressure points but Thursdays ride of 100km it felt just fine. My right knee pain is still apparent but i think that's down to me mashed the gears instead of spinning. As been suggested I've made sure I've checked the cleats are tight after each ride but think in the future it's going to get difficult as the small allen key bolts really get gummed up with muck. Time will tell.
My feet don't look so sloppy any more whilst peddling and can feel new muscles being worked harder from the tweaked riding position. If your thinking of trying them but afraid, please don't be. I think once you've tried them, you would of wish you would of had them years ago

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
've made sure I've checked the cleats are tight after each ride but think in the future it's going to get difficult as the small allen key bolts really get gummed up with muck.
You really dont have to worry or do this after every ride. If they are fine after the first couple of rides then the cleats are bolted in ok.
I was worried the small footprint of the peddle would cause some discomfort as in pressure points
It's not down to the pedal, it's down to the firmness of the sole of a shoe.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I've actually just stopped clipping in. I miss it, as it's definitely easier, especially up-hill, but I've been getting some knee pain and I wonder if it's because I never quite got the cleat angles right. Now, such as today, when I clipped in just for a short hill, I could really feel the twist in my knee. I shall try adjusting angles so I can start using them again, but at the moment I'm thinking less efficiency and less power versus riding longer into old age = no contest.

Murph McMurphy

I started using clipless about 10 years ago, I have a medical condition that means I loose the use of my right foot after a time, no not alcohol related, I wouldn't use anything else now, I tried Look pedals for a while but found them to be lethal for me, I have the spd's would out most of the way to make clipping in and out easier, you get used to them fairly quickly.

Chippy Dave

I’ve done a few rides now with the clipless pedals, I’m getting better at pulling away at junctions but it nearly all ended in disaster on one occasion. I decided I’d take a breather whilst out the other night, found a cutback area which was an entrance to a farmers field, perfect I thought, for some reason though I completely forgot my feet were clipped in and I don’t know how but as I came to a standstill, and the bike started falling towards the biggest patch of stinging nettles that you’ve ever seen, I managed to unclip my foot and just about stopped falling into them, better than happening on a main road I guess, could’ve been painful though ^_^

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Eeeeeh that could of been painful falling into some nettles. I found the first few rides using clipless peddles to of been perfectly fine. Its now after a few weeks that I'm wary of them. I think it's because when "new" to them, your constantly thinking about them and are very conscious of your feet being clipped in. Your on heightened alert to clipping out at a moments notice. After a few weeks you start getting brave and forget about them.. That's when they bite you on the backside

Chippy Dave

Eeeeeh that could of been painful falling into some nettles. I found the first few rides using clipless peddles to of been perfectly fine. Its now after a few weeks that I'm wary of them. I think it's because when "new" to them, your constantly thinking about them and are very conscious of your feet being clipped in. Your on heightened alert to clipping out at a moments notice. After a few weeks you start getting brave and forget about them.. That's when they bite you on the backside

Familiarity breeds contempt as they say ^_^

Top Bottom