Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tangoup51

Made this little fella from some spare PVC trim.

IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG

I wanted to get one of those Garmin extender mounts - y'know, the ones that stick infront of the stem plate.

I wanted one out of safety, I had to look down quite a bit to see my Garmin that was mounted on my stem. Took my eyes way off the road.

But considering those extender mounts are ludicrously expensive, I made my own. - And custom fit, so I can now see my garmin / phone without having to look down, it's now in my peripheral vision.

It's made by using..

two pieces of PVC trim
one quite sturdy handlebar bracket
Garmin mount
secure fitting phone case
epoxy and Small cable ties.

Used it for about a year. Wasn't sure the PVC would hold, but it does. It's quite thick stuff but doesn't weigh anything. It's not stiff & brittle. I was worried it'd be too flexible and might 'pop' the phone out of its case. Surprisingly it's not all that flexible. It's very controlled even on the rough stuff. There are more technical boring things I did to make it resilient and reliable, but i'll spare the details :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good bodge, well done.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Keep an eye on the handle bar mount . I had a zipp one almost snap with just the weight of a Garmin 1000 .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you have a backup retention system (eg a piece of string) in case of failure?

Seriously, I've always used chunkier (AA powered) Garmins that have funny model-specific handlebar mounts. I always, but always*, use the lanyard as a backup to save the device in case the mount fails. It has been needed several times.

* Except for once, with inevitable consequences. :sad:
This^^^^

OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

What's the red tape for at the bottom of the phone?

Iphone 5 Red Tape edition. Super rare, only for the Iphone 5s with the extra cracked screen and helps keep it all tight and.. in one piece.

Do you have a backup retention system (eg a piece of string) in case of failure?

Seriously, I've always used chunkier (AA powered) Garmins that have funny model-specific handlebar mounts. I always, but always*, use the lanyard as a backup to save the device in case the mount fails. It has been needed several times.

IMG_1655.JPG

:okay: Yes it comes with a little hole for a cable tie to attach to the handlebars after installation, I apologise for your experience there @Dogtrousers but never fear... cable tie is now here. :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern

Garmin etrex are really quite sturdy when flung from the handlebars onto the tarmac due to being improperly clipped into the mount. Or so I'm told.

Top Bottom