Threadless headset on threaded forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

As mentioned upthread, Stronglight A9 is the way to go for a long lasting threaded headset. I have one on the pink magenta bike that's 12 years old. I had one on the red fixer, but that died (the bike, not the headset), after being taken roughly from behind on a roundabout. It's all to do with the use of roller (?) bearings, instead of balls, together with angled faces for them to sit in.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oi, never mind your headset; you'll have someone's eye out with those zip ties!

HovR

Über Member
Some years ago I bought a 32mm spanner off Ebay for headsets. It was sold for something on a LandRover, but 32mm on a Landrover is no different to 32mm on a bike. It is very thin but very heavy and strong and wont bend or deform. I paid about a fiver for it posted. That does the cups and I just use a normal spanner on the lock ring as it doesn't need to be a thin spanner.

I use a large pair of these

421-SAFE-T-STOP%E2%84%A2-Straight-Jaw-Plier.jpeg

Along with one of these:

bahco-8-inch-black-adjustable-wrench-8071-6106-p.jpg

:blush: (Then again I'm not working with £90 headsets!)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As it currently stands my singlespeed is intentionally ugly to deter thieves, in its next incarnation it will be much prettier.
Its working.

I am only kidding, honest...i just cant do smilies from an ipad!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

compo

Veteran
You need to know:
The internal diameter of the crown race, the internal diameter of your head tube, and the external diameter of the steerer tube, which is probably 1". Then you will need to have some idea of the stack height. The reason for getting the ID of the headtube is so you can get the correct size cups to press into the headtube. For example on mine the headtube is 30mm, the crown race is 27mm and the steerer 25.4mm. Essentially they are the three critical measurements that are usually listed with headsets. Stack heights you will need to work out as well.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
You need to know:
The internal diameter of the crown race, the internal diameter of your head tube, and the external diameter of the steerer tube, which is probably 1". Then you will need to have some idea of the stack height. The reason for getting the ID of the headtube is so you can get the correct size cups to press into the headtube. For example on mine the headtube is 30mm, the crown race is 27mm and the steerer 25.4mm. Essentially they are the three critical measurements that are usually listed with headsets. Stack heights you will need to work out as well.

Thank you, I shall grab some vernier callipers tomorrow and set about measuring things!

Top Bottom