Threadless headset on threaded forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Argh. Cant use stuff like that - you'll scratch the finish !

Will admit it was nerve wracking fitting the DA headset to the best bike.

Normally I'd agree with you, but all my bikes with threaded headsets are still on the original run-of-the-mill headset which already has it's fair share of cosmetic wear. No fancy Shimano stuff here.

When it comes to getting a new headset (if my current ones ever wear out.. they've lasted 20+ years, don't see them breaking any time soon!) I'll be investing in some proper headset spanners to save the finish.

compo

Veteran
Normally I'd agree with you, but all my bikes with threaded headsets are still on the original run-of-the-mill headset which already has it's fair share of cosmetic wear. No fancy Shimano stuff here.

When it comes to getting a new headset (if my current ones ever wear out.. they've lasted 20+ years, don't see them breaking any time soon!) I'll be investing in some proper headset spanners to save the finish.

The original Raleigh components I replaced because they are rusty are far superior quality to the new one, and the bearing tracks look pretty well untouched. Not bad for a 1980's bike. I am going to keep all the bits as I know someone who will be able to rechrome them for me on the QT at his work when I can get in touch with him. I bought a new set as he is a bit long winded, 3 months to do little jobs isn't unusual!

Top Bottom