Threadless headset on threaded forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In your position, I'd get thee to your LBS, hand the frame and forks over and ask them to fit a headset.
Fitting one if you haven't got the tools is nerve-wracking, as it involved improvised presses or a hammer.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
In your position, I'd get thee to your LBS, hand the frame and forks over and ask them to fit a headset.
Fitting one if you haven't got the tools is nerve-wracking, as it involved improvised presses or a hammer.

I might well enlist the help of my friendly local bike doctor.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use a large pair of these

421-SAFE-T-STOP%E2%84%A2-Straight-Jaw-Plier.jpeg

Along with one of these:

bahco-8-inch-black-adjustable-wrench-8071-6106-p.jpg

:blush: (Then again I'm not working with £90 headsets!)

Argh. Cant use stuff like that - you'll scratch the finish !

Will admit it was nerve wracking fitting the DA headset to the best bike.

compo

Veteran
Where are you going. How many for coffee and cake?

And I agree with getting the right tools for the job whenever possible.

compo

Veteran
Here's the route...

Just me and one of the Ipswich Single Speed lot at the moment. I've got to be home by 10am!

Looks a nice ride, and Gosfield lake is a pleasant spot.

It isn't really my way though. I left Sudbury 6 years ago and moved to Harlow after my flat fire then got married and been in Harlow ever since.

compo

Veteran
I have just heard from the powder coaters, my frame is ready for collection, so I may be fitting my new threaded headset later on!

compo

Veteran
I know it's presumptuous of me, but I'd love to be able to dump work for the day and come and learn how to do this!

We've already told you. A 4lb lump hammer.

Failing that I have to go to a DIY store and buy either a long nut and bolt or some threaded studding to fabricate an insertion tool. I would have no objection to your company but I can't say when I am going to do the job as it depends on getting the threaded studding and coach washers.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
We've already told you. A 4lb lump hammer.

Failing that I have to go to a DIY store and buy either a long nut and bolt or some threaded studding to fabricate an insertion tool. I would have no objection to your company but I can't say when I am going to do the job as it depends on getting the threaded studding and coach washers.

There's also the small matter of me needing to be at work!

Could I trouble you to take a photo of your insertion tool (paging @Fnaar) I work at an engineering firm so I should be able to cobble something together if I know what to aim for!

compo

Veteran
There's also the small matter of me needing to be at work!

Could I trouble you to take a photo of your insertion tool (paging @Fnaar) I work at an engineering firm so I should be able to cobble something together if I know what to aim for!

In the end I didn't need an insertion tool, everything fitted together with hard hand pressure and just a gentle tap with a rubber hammer to just finish the locating. I have put a couple of pictures and text in the "what have you fettled today" thread.

Have a look at this on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADSET-P..._Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item19dae46c64

If you can get the studding free, say M10, and some coach washers or make your own it is easy. You dont actually need a handle, a nut top and bottom will do the same job.

Top Bottom