Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
I was run over by a bloke on his bike, no lights, riding the wrong way down a 1 was street. I hit the deck a bit hard. The dogs are fine, I am bruised.

Ouch - that sounds horrible. I hope you're not too shaken up by it.

I hope you get over your tonsillitis soon too.

Alex321

Veteran
Well after a fail last week with only 2 rides, I managed 7 this week (4 of which were commutes, 2 each way).

W5 R1 30/01/2023 1:00:13 13.52 miles. One of my fairly regular loops through Llangan and Colwinston.
W5 R2 01/02/2023 1:01:27 15.4 miles Commute to work at 7:00AM
W5 R3 01/02/2023 1:09:09 15.26 miles Commute home at 4:35PM.
W5 R4&5 - 03/02/2023 Same as R2&3, slightly faster.
W5 R6 04/02/2023 1:06:44 16.18 miles Out through Llanharry - Pontyclun, then back via Tredodridge & Warren Mill Farm.
W5 R7 05/02/2023 1:44:54 26.17 miles Out through Llangan - Treos - Hernston - Ewenny - Wick - Llantwit Major - Sigginstone - Llanblethian.

Success rate 4 weeks out of 5.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride durations rounded down to the nearest quarter of an hour.

Week 5: 3 rides, 94 km, 5 hrs
  • Ride 1 (Mon): (Singlespeed) A trip up and down the valley A-roads with some added scenic lumpiness to give 600 m of ascent in 50 km. 2-1/2 hrs.
  • Ride 2 (Thu): (Singlespeed) A very wind-blown loop with Littgull taking in the long Cragg Vale climb to 'Craggies' cafe, and then on round to home. 36 km. 2 hrs.
  • Ride 3 (Sat): (Singlespeed) My lumpy 8 km local loop. 1/2 hr.

Success rate: 5 weeks out of 5.

15 rides so far this year, totalling 203 km, and taking approximately 11 hrs.

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
Went too quick on most of my local rides to top the half hour - trying to increase my average cadence.
W5R1 - Mares 30 mins - Sunset ride along the L&L (pic below).
W5R2 - hybrid 41 mins - Local pootle around Burnley, Fence & Brierfield.
W5R3 - hybrid 2 hours 5 mins - Brierfield, Fence, Noggarth, Pasture Ln, Roughlee, Clarion, Newchurch, Sabden Fold, the Ridge, Higham, Wheatley Lane, Barrowford Locks, L&L, Victoria Pk, Quaker Bridge, Burnley. Lovely weather too!
DSC_5761.JPG

Last edited:

Gibbo9

Veteran
W5 Update - only 3 rides last week as the end of the week was taken up with climbing Mount Jade, the highest mountain in Taiwan at 3942 metres.
Total distance covered was around 146km and almost 6 hours saddle time.

W5 R1 - 26.6km, 1hr 7 mins
W5 R2 - 101km, 4hr 1 min
W5 R3 - 17.7km, 48 mins

May struggle this week as the weather is rubbish currently.

figbat

Slippery scientist
That’s the week done… and will be the end of my streak for the year since I am off on holiday on Monday for a few days and won’t be able to get 3 in next week.

W6R1 - 1:19, a surprisingly and welcome dry MTB ride with a bit of climbing.

W6R2 - 1:47, weekly night MTB group ride

W6R3 - 1:22, a gravel ride to complete my personal weekly target before hols.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride durations rounded down to the nearest quarter of an hour.

Week 6: 3 rides, 24 km, 1.5 hrs
  • Ride 1 (Mon): (Singlespeed) My lumpy 8 km local loop. 1/2 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Tue): (Singlespeed) My lumpy 8 km local loop. 1/2 hr.
  • Ride 3 (Wed): (Singlespeed) My lumpy 8 km local loop. 1/2 hr.

Success rate: 6 weeks out of 6.

18 rides so far this year, totalling 227 km, and taking approximately 12.5 hrs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm slow in updating the thread but at least I'm still getting the rides in.

Don't worry about late reporting - just pleased that you're still in the challenge.

It would be interesting (for those of us who know Lancashire) to know roughly where you're cycling ..?

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 6 (6th February to 12th February)

Best week of the year so far: 244km cycled (year to date = 1041km)

13 rides this week over 30 mins …

Week 6 – ride 1 (Mon) – 1 hr 8 mins – Pontmenard, Geffray, le Faux and la Suais: on the MASSI.

Week 6 – ride 2 (Tues) – 43 mins – a loop around Pontmenard on the Urban Shaper

Week 6 – ride 3 (Tues) – 46 mins – Pontmenard/Devison/Pontmenard: on the MASSI

Week 6 – ride 4 (Wed) – 1 hr 46 mins – Plaisance, Evriguet, Corbinais, la Riaye, Brignac and SBdM: on La Rossa

Week 6 – ride 5 (Thurs) – 1 hr 1 mins – Pontmenard, Devison, SBdM, Pontmenard: on the Urban Shaper

Week 6 – ride 6 (Thurs) – 34 mins – local lanes and some off-road: on the RAID

Week 6 – ride 7 (Fri) – 50 mins – Pontmenard/Devison loop on the RAID

Week 6 – ride 8 (Fri) – 1 hr 10 mins – Plaisance, Evriguet, Kerminy and SBdM: on La Rossa

Week 6 – ride 9 (Fri) – 1 hr 2 mins – Esquiniac, Bourg Neuf, le Faux and Geffray: on the MASSI

Week 6 – ride 10 (Sat) – 3 hrs 10 mins – anti-clockwise Loyat loop on La Rossa (more details in the HMCAM challenge thread)

Week 6 – ride 11 (Sun) – 42 mins – local lanes and some off-road: on the MASSI

Week 6 – ride 12 (Sun) – 48 mins – a loop around SBdM with my camera: also on the MASSI

Week 6 – ride 13 (Sun) – 51 mins – SBdM, Geffray, le Faux and la Suais: on the Urban Shaper

A couple of photos from this afternoon:

Near la Justice pic 1.JPG

Towards Morinais pic 1.JPG

FrothNinja

Veteran
Still trying to increase my average cadence.
W6R1 - Mares 30 mins - L&L.
W6R2 - Mares 30 mins - Local gravel loop.
W6R3 - hybrid 39 mins - Burnley, Brierfield, Fence, Brierfield, Burnley.
W6R4 -hybrid 3 hours 23 mins - Burnley, Brierfield, Barrowford, Foulridge, Whitemoor, Gisburn Old Road, Howgill, Wytha Rd, Stopper Ln, Rimington, Downham, Twiston, Four Lane Ends, Wheathead Ln, Blacko, Blacko Bar (nearly splatted by a flash 4x4), Roughlee, Clarion, Newchurch, Sabden Fold, the Ridge, Black Hill, the Ridge, Higham, Wheatley Lane, Quaker Bridge, Burnley (total 58.2 km / 36.2 miles plus 3,645 ft / 1,111 m ascent) Good cycling weather too!
DSC_5820.JPG

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Yay! I finally managed three rides in a week.

Went out on Monday after work & pottered around for about 35 minutes. Should really have taken some lights as it got dark quicker than I expected so I had to stick to cycle paths. About 6 miles.

Yesterday I went to look at a place where I've been told there may be a badger sett (not going to reveal where to anyone!). Was out for about 45 minutes including a short stretch pushing the bike & peering into the undergrowth for badger signs. Just under 7 miles.

Forced myself to go out this morning - there's been no wind so couldn't think of an excuse not to go. Managed over 10 miles, it's months since I've ridden that far. About an hour.

Alex321

Veteran
Three rides this week, Mon Sat Sun.
W6 R1 0:52:04 12.31 miles Welsh St Donats - Bonvilston - Llantrythid - St Hillary - Cowbridge - Aberthin - Home
W6 R2 1:35:10 23.33 miles Pontyclun - Miskin - Hensol - Tredodridge - Bonvilston - Llantrythid - Flemingston (1st time on this road) - New Barn - Sigginstone - Llanmihangel - Llanblethian - Abertin - Home.
W6 R3 1:39:08 25.25 miles Welsh ST Donats - Bonvilston - Llancadle - Boverton - Llantwit Major - St Donats - Sigginstone - Llanmihangel - Llanblethian - Abertin - Home.

5 successful weeks out of 6.

Gibbo9

Veteran
W6, Only 3 rides last week, mainly due to my legs being destroyed after climbing mount Jade. Around 116km covered with just over 5 hours in the saddle. Other point to note is that my son is visiting he came out with my partner and I on my second ride of the week. 65km covered which is more than either of them have ever done in one sitting before, very impressed.

W6, R1 - 24.78km, 1hr 5 mins
W6, R2 - 65.2km, 3hr 16 mins
W6, R3 - 26km, 1hr 2 mins

Top Bottom