Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Had a really unpleasant tummy bug for the last few days but still managed to ride every day.
W7R1 - Mares 30 mins - L&L.
W7R2 - Centurion 36 mins - Local Burnley miles
W7R3 - Mares 59 mins - Burnley, Quaker Bridge, Brierfield, Nelson, Barrowford Locks, and back to Burnley - an extension of my local gravel loop with extra cycle paths etc, almost the entire route off roads.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 7 (13th February to 19th February)

245km cycled this week (year to date = 1287km)

All five bikes have now passed 200km in 2023

15 rides this week over 30 mins …

Week 7 – ride 1 (Mon) – 1 hr 16 mins – Geffray, Kerminy, Nizan, Geffray, le Faux, Raserais, Esquiniac: on the MASSI
Week 7 – ride 2 (Mon) – 46 mins – Plaisance, SBdM and the D2: on the Princess
Week 7 – ride 3 (Tues) – 1 hr 4 mins – SBdM, Geffray, le Faux, Raserais, Esquiniac: on the Urban Shaper
Week 7 – ride 4 (Wed) – 50 mins – Pontmenard/Devison loop: on the MASSI
Week 7 – ride 5 (Wed) – 54 mins – Plaisance, SBdM and Geffray: on the Princess
Week 7 – ride 6 (Thurs) – 1 hr 1 mins – regular Pontmenard/Devison loop with some extra off-road: on the MASSI
Week 7 – ride 7 (Thurs) – 54 mins – local lanes and some more off-road around SBdM: on the MASSI again
Week 7 – ride 8 (Fri) – 1 hr 43 mins – Pontmenard, Raserais, Esquiniac, Bourg Neuf, Guilliers, Bourg Neuf, Evriguet, Kerminy, SBdM: on the Princess
Week 7 – ride 9 (Fri) – 51 mins – Plaisance, SBdM, Geffray and SBdM: on La Rossa
Week 7 – ride 10 (Fri) – 55 mins – Pontmenard, SBdM and la Ville Haligan: on the RAID
Week 7 – ride 11 (Sat) – 57 mins regular Pontmenard/Devison loop: on the RAID
Week 7 – ride 12 (Sat) – 50 mins – anti-clockwise Haligan/SBdM loop: on the RAID again
Week 7 – ride 13 (Sun) – 1 hr 47– Plaisance, SBdM, Brignac, la Riaye, Corbinais, Evriguet, SBdM: on the Princess
Week 7 – ride 14 (Sun) – 55 mins – a Rebutais/SBdM/Devison loop: also on the Princess
Week 7 – ride 15 (Sun) – 59 mins – Coudray-Baillet, Ville Tual, Devison, Geffray, SBdM: also on the Princess

The Princess near Pontmenard on Friday. When these oaks are in full leaf, it feels like cycling through a cathedral (I’ll try and get a better photo in the summer)

PMD oaks pic 2.JPG

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I only managed two rides this week :sad: Went out in my lunch hour on Tuesday - possibly the best day of the week. Didn't get very far partly because I bumped into the postman who's a keen cyclist and chatted with him.
Then managed about 10 miles on Thursday. Should really have gone out today but couldn't be bothered and had other things to get on with indoors

FrothNinja

Veteran
I only managed two rides this week :sad: Went out in my lunch hour on Tuesday - possibly the best day of the week. Didn't get very far partly because I bumped into the postman who's a keen cyclist and chatted with him.
Then managed about 10 miles on Thursday. Should really have gone out today but couldn't be bothered and had other things to get on with indoors

Better luck next week

Alex321

Veteran
5.5 rides this week
W7 R1 - 13/02/23 0:45:12 - 11.08 miles - City - Llangan - Pentre Meurick - Llysworney - Llanblethian - Aberthin - Home
W7 R2 - 15/02/23 1:02:00 - 15.41 miles - Commute to work
W7 R3 - 15/02/23 1:04:44 - 15.29 miles - Commute Home
W7 R4 - 17/02/23 0:57:15 - 15.42 miles - Commute to work
W7 R5 - 17/02/23 1:04:06 - 15.27 miles - Commute home

W7 R 5.5 - 19/02/23 0:25:59 cycling, plus about 45 minutes walking. 6.23 miles cycling, then a puncture and rear tyre wrecked so had to walk home - about 3-4 miles.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride durations rounded down to the nearest quarter of an hour and excluding breaks.

Week 7 (On holiday in Devon): 3 rides, 109 km, 6.75 hrs
  • Ride 1 (Wed): 21 km in lanes near Crediton. 1-1/4 hrs.
  • Ride 2 (Sat): 70 km forum ride from Crediton to Starcross and back. 4-1/2 hrs.
  • Ride 3 (Sun): 18 km in lanes near Crediton. 1hr.
Success rate: 7 weeks out of 7.

21 rides so far this year, totalling 336 km, and taking approximately 19.25 hrs.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
OK, I'm giving up on this. I'm beating myself up too much about not wanting to ride. It's not my fault that I'm scared to ride. It's the fault of the man who hit me.

I had hoped that once out I would enjoy the ride and sometimes I do. But trying to do something that makes me nervous AND contend with the cold and the wind is just making annoying me. And I can do without more irritations.

I'm even tempted to put the bike away, but that might be a step too far :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
OK, I'm giving up on this. I'm beating myself up too much about not wanting to ride. It's not my fault that I'm scared to ride. It's the fault of the man who hit me.

I had hoped that once out I would enjoy the ride and sometimes I do. But trying to do something that makes me nervous AND contend with the cold and the wind is just making annoying me. And I can do without more irritations.

I'm even tempted to put the bike away, but that might be a step too far :smile:

Sorry to hear that. You could start a thread get out for a walk for at least 30 mins a week or something. Hope you manage to get a ride in when you’re in the mood and don’t feel under pressure to do so.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran

That’s a shame… but there’s not much point in forcing yourself to go out on the bike if you don’t enjoy it.

If you do want to go out but are still feeling nervous after your accident in 2021, have you considered whether a couple of sessions with a sports psychologist might help?

Good luck – and I hope you’ll overcome your lack of confidence and re-discover the simple pleasures of cycling.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Having missed last week due to holiday, I thought I was out for this week too as I came down with some kind of cold/virus thing on return from holiday. I got out twice but regretted it and thought that was it for the week. However I’ve just completed a gentle pootle which sees me back in the game!

W8R1 Monday - 1:18, an attempt to clear the pipes after the holiday. Went OK.

W8R2 Wednesday - 1:26, weekly village MTB group ride - felt ok whilst out but suffered for it the next couple of days

W8R3 Saturday - 0:53, a gentle pootle to the nearby Blewbury Bread Company for lunch provisions. Gentle was the order of the day and it felt OK, and not a little refreshing to be riding slowly and to achieve an objective other than cycling, rather than balls out trying to get segment times.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 8 (20th February to 26th February)

194km cycled this week (year to date = 1482km)

All five bikes did over 100km in February and achieved their minimum targets in February. All five have passed 235km in 2023.

14 rides this week over 30 mins:

Week 8 – ride 1 (Mon) – 54 mins – Pontmenard/Devison loop: on the RAID
Week 8 – ride 2 (Mon) – 1 hr 31 mins – a ride out to Brignac on back roads and field tracks (inc. part of the VP 19): on the MASSI
Week 8 – ride 3 (Tues) – 1 hr 7 mins – Pontmenard, Geffray, le Faux, Raserais, Esquiniac: on the MASSI
Week 8 – ride 4 (Tues) – 1 hr 3 mins – le Faux, Geffray, Kerminy, Evriguet, SBdM: on the Urban Shaper
Week 8 – ride 5 (Wed) – 1 hr 1 min – Pontmenard/SBdM loop: on the MASSI
Week 8 – ride 6 (Thurs) – 48 mins – SBdM and Plaisance: on La Rossa
Week 8 – ride 7 (Fri) – 45 mins – Pontmenard loop: on the Urban Shaper
Week 8 – ride 8 (Fri) – 46 mins – SBdM and Plaisance: on La Rossa
Week 8 – ride 9 (Fri) – 48 mins – Pontmenard/Devison loop: on the RAID
Week 8 – ride 10 (Sat) – 54 mins – SBdM, Plaisance and down to the Yvel beyond Espérance: on La Rossa
Week 8 – ride 11 (Sat) – 50 mins – Pontmenard/Devison loop: on the RAID
Week 8 – ride 12 (Sat) – 41 mins – another loop around Pontmenard: this time on the MASSI
Week 8 – ride 13 (Sun) – 1 hr 16 mins – Suais, Raserais, Esquiniac, SBdM and Devison loop: on the Urban Shaper
Week 8 – ride 14 (Sun) – 1 hr 1 min – a mostly off-road around Pontmenard and Devison: on the MASSI

Near Devison pic 2.JPG

FrothNinja

Veteran
W8R1 - Mares 2 hours 3 mins - Commute Brierfield to Preston.
W8R2 - Mares 33 mins - Goadsbarrow, Rampside etc.
W8R3 - Mares 2 hours 23 mins - Commute Preston to Brierfield.
W8R4 - Mares 1 hour 2 mins - Extended local gravel loop - including a few PRs that got me into the top 3 on a few rarely ridden segments.
230223 Nacht 6.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride durations rounded down to the nearest quarter of an hour and excluding breaks.

Week 8: 3 rides, 35km, 2 hrs
  • Ride 1 (Thu): (Singlespeed) 9 km. Lumpy local loop plus an extra hill. 1/2 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Fri): (Singlespeed) 16 km. Lumpy local loop PLUS an even lumpier second loop (total 280 m of ascent). 1 hr.
  • Ride 3 (Sun): (Singlespeed) 10 km. Slightly extended lumpy local loop. 1/2 hr.
Success rate: 8 weeks out of 8.

24 rides so far this year, totalling 371 km, and taking approximately 21.25 hrs.

PS I just noticed that my ride counts were wrong on my last few posts so I have corrected them.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Just the three rides for me this week, as Friday was driving to Scotland, and Saturday and today in Scotland, without bike.
W8 R1 21/02/23 36:57 9.42 miles, loop round City, Craig Penllyn, Penllyn, Cowbridge.
W8 R2 22/02/23 57:34 15.41 miles, commute to work.
W8 R3 22/02/23 1:02:51 15.27 miles, commute home.

7 weeks success out of 8.

Top Bottom