Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
That's what I thought yesterday. Now I just have to convince myself to do it again today! :laugh:

Just ridden from Colne to Burnley - wind was in my face. Hope you kept it at your back most of the time. Have fun, I did

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
This thread needs some photos !

The light wasn't wonderful today but here are three photos from my ride at lunchtime - I've not captioned them .. they're just examples of local riding here in January

Princess stopped.JPG

Road to Brignac.JPG

W of Kerminy.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just ridden from Colne to Burnley - wind was in my face. Hope you kept it at your back most of the time. Have fun, I did

I was waiting for conditons to improve, but...

... then they got worse!

I got distracted by a couple of phone calls. I am going to try to catch a break in the rain tomorrow instead.

I need to get my CAADX fork replacement done. I have been aiming to sort it out since Covid came along. The fork is subject to a safety recall after multiple failures. The bike is fitted with SKS Longboards which give great protection in foul weather.

Meanwhile, I think I will buy a Zefal Swan/Croozer clip-on mudguard set for the singlespeed bike. Merlin currently has them on special offer for £10.50 [link].

The light wasn't wonderful today but here are three photos from my ride at lunchtime - I've not captioned them .. they're just examples of local riding here in January
If it was like that here, I wouldn't have any problem getting out on my bike! :okay: I would take a photo of our local roads for you, but I would be too scare of my phone getting waterlogged... :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
W2 R1 11/01/23 1H 13m. 17.3 miles. Cube. Commute to work, trying a slightly different route through Cardiff, which didn't work well.
W2 R2 11/01/23 1H 15m. 15.3 miles. Cube. Commute home against very strong wind, and heavy rain.
W2 R3 13/01/23 30m 03s. 7.38 miles Cube. Just a short ride out through Cowbridge & Llanblethian.

2 weeks success out of 2.

Probably wouldn't have gone out tonight at all if not for the challenge, but glad I did. The wind which had been high all day died down just as I set out.

[Edit]
Managed a 4th ride today.
W2 R4 15/01/23 1h:33m 22.25 miles, Cube bike. Loop through Pontyclun, Miskin, Llanharan, St Athan, Cowbridge.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well the overnight storm has abated (though we had no rain and the power cut was only about 45 minutes) and it's proved to be quite a nice day. So I've managed a second ride this week. Around about 7 miles. I was out the house for about 50 minutes but I did stop to peer at one or two birds on the river - a grey wagtail was a nice bonus - so I wasn't riding for all that time.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 2 qualifying rides (9th January to 15th January)

A wet and very windy week ..

Week 2 – ride 1 (Mon) – 50 mins – two loops of Pontmenard, then Devison and a loop around SBdM, on the MASSI mountain bike. An icy-cold and strong NW wind (but dry, thankfully). I squeezed in another couple of very short rides later in the afternoon on the RAID, in between log-splitting and bread-making.

Week 2 – ride 2 (Tues) – 45 mins – out on the MASSI mountain bike again. Stayed very close to the village in a blustery SW wind (at least it wasn’t cold). Went to a local market later in the afternoon and spoke some English for the first time in 3 weeks… nice but I was tripping over my words a bit.

Week 2 – ride 3 (Wed) – 1 hr 8 mins – SBdM, Esquiniac, Raserais – on the Urban Shaper hybrid bike.

Week 2 – ride 4 (Thurs) – 1 hr 8 mins – in the wind and rain: Devison, SBdM, Pontmenard and Devison again – on the RAID mountain bike. The bike and I were very mud-splattered when we got back home.

Week 2 – ride 5 (Thurs) – 39 mins – went back out again after lunch, on the Urban Shaper hybrid bike. Stayed close to home because of the wind and only saw one vehicle all the time I was out – the postwoman who gave me a smile and a wave.

Week 2 – ride 6 (Fri) – 1 hr 54 mins – on the Shaper 200 hybrid bike: SBdM, Kerminy, Guilliers and SBdM .. more info and some photos in the ‘Your Ride Today’ thread (and some more photos from the ride upthread). All five bikes have now had a ride in 2023.

Week 2 – ride 7 (Sat) – 48 mins – on the MASSI mountain bike in the driving rain and howling wind. Stayed within 2km of the village and didn’t see a soul (apart from two deer .. who’ve done well to have evaded la chasse this winter).

Week 2 – ride 8 (Sun) – 50 mins – local lanes and a bit of off-road on the RAID mountain bike. Squeezed in another 15 min ride a bit later on the RAID between jobs.

I’ve not missed a day on the bike yet in January and hopefully I can keep up my 100% rate going right through this month.

Alex321

Veteran
I’ve not missed a day on the bike yet in January and hopefully I can keep up my 100% rate going right through this month.

I'm hardly ever going to ride all 7 days in any week, due to Morris dancing. Thursdays is our practice night in winter, dancing out in summer, and if I'm working, there just isn't time to get out between finishing work and leaving for practice, and it is around 11pm before I get home.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
I did stop to peer at one or two birds on the river - a grey wagtail was a nice bonus

I don't think I've ever seen a grey one - we had some white ones here back in April 2019.

Here's one perched on my TV antenna

IMG_1011.JPG

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm hardly ever going to ride all 7 days in any week, due to Morris dancing. Thursdays is our practice night in winter, dancing out in summer, and if I'm working, there just isn't time to get out between finishing work and leaving for practice, and it is around 11pm before I get home.

Your Morris dancing sounds fantastic - a great thing to do and an interesting combination of history, dance and music.

I know from your posts elsewhere that you're still working - and that must limit the time you have available for cycling, particularly in the winter months.

But I need to be out on my bike as much as I can before I can no longer do it - so I keep pushing myself to get out and feel the wind and the rain.

Happy Birthday for the other day by the way !

FrothNinja

Veteran
230111 33.JPG

W2R1 - Centurion 31 mins - Local Burnley miles, all in the rain.
W2R2 - Mares 66 mins - Holmrook, Saltcoats, Ravenglass/Muncaster, River Irt, ford 12 feet under water, Saltcoats, Holmrook, Drigg, almost to the beach, Holmrook. Started at dusk and finished in the soggy dark.
W2R3 - Mares 42 mins - Preston to station then Colne to Burnley, all in the rain.
W2R4 - Mares 2 hours 5 mins - Burnley, gravel/cycle paths to Barrowford, Alkincoats, Foulridge, Blacko, Roughlee, Clarion, Spen Brook, Fence, Wheatley Lane, Barrowford, Ind Est, gravel/towpath back to Burnley. Missed out on my 50 km / 1000 m targets because I spent too much time chatting - and the wind was a git.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My rides are completed.
Ride one was Tuesday, from Spixworth to Norwich, the attractive route, after dropping my car off with its daft fault. 35 mins. Soaked to the skin because of the rain.
Ride 2 was also Tuesday, from Norwich to to Spixworth to collect the car. 58 mins. This way I was decidedly damp due to puddle depth and the water splashing up. My waterproof trousers need to be investigated by the trading standards, I reckon.
Ride 3 was today just for 7 miles as it was cold and windy and I was not feeling the love. The first 5 miles were great, but the last couple were a slog, I blame the wind :smile: Also, I had stuff to do today - a weekends worth of stuff in 1 day, including the need to give the car a good old Run out as it’s been nowhere since Tuesday and she’s a bit prone to sulking.

Edited to add:
This week got away from me a bit, with packing a few boxes and getting sorted to move to a bungalow, plus working on Saturday. The wind has been a bit blowy and the rain a bit wet.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
It was looking like a fall at the second hurdle as I came down with an illness last week, but it turned out to be a 24h thing so I managed to rescue the week:

W2R1
Monday 9th - 1:08. A route trying to avoid the wet and mud. Mostly successful.

W2R2:
Thursday 12th - 1:19. Repeat of Monday’s route but with added headwind.

W2R3:
Saturday 14th - 1:12. A different, more road oriented route. Caught in an unforecasted cloudburst.

Top Bottom