Three Punctures in Six Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Two on the road bike on Sunday. One on the commuter today. I'd only ever had one before, and that was about six months ago. Grrr.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Tyres wearing out ?
tired.gif

Mileage too high ?
Laie_76A.gif

Paying your dues ?
blink.gif

MarkF

Guru
:biggrin: My lad has had 6 since Monday morning! He woke up to a flat tyre, I repaired it then he came back from his paper round with a puncture, repaired it, had another puncture on Tuesday. Replaced tube, instant puncture Wednesday morning aarargh! Repaired it, he took it for a trial ride Wednesay night..........puncture! Both were on the new tubes seam, thought the tube might be faulty so I got another, result? Puncture Thurs.

It's bizarre, there is nothing in the tyre and the inner wheel is smooth as a baby's bot, it's driven me mental. Today, no puncture. :wacko:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I guess there's always someone worse off! With mine, it isn't the tyres because both sets are fairly new. I'm putting it down to winter, and a bit of bad luck.

anyuser

Über Member
Me too:
Two on Tuesday, one front, one back on the fast commuter.
One on Thursday on the back, on the slow commuter.

Both sets on the way home, in the dark.

Slow commuter needs new tyres I admit, but the fast one has conti 4 seasons and they have only done 900 miles, although these are the first incidents. Bad luck I suppose.

MarkF

Guru
I guess there's always someone worse off! With mine, it isn't the tyres because both sets are fairly new. I'm putting it down to winter, and a bit of bad luck.

My lad hasn't had a puncture in over a year, I usually use quality tubes but the 2 replacement tubes I bought were from Asda, Bell brand, on special offer at £1.80. Every hole was on the central seam.

I used a Continental tube on my wifes hybrid a while back, "lost"a wheel nut whilst repairing the puncture and she went another year of daily cycling before the next. That's when I found the nut. :ohmy: Should have stuck with Continental.

nut.jpg

I use Dr sludge self seal
thumbsup.png

Why ?

Wednesday night a puncture, still rode home, found 3 hole all sealed, (2 small, 1 bigger) and 1 piece of glass in tyre

Thursday morning a puncture still got to work ten fixed 1 hole, 2 piece of glass, (different colour that last night)
sad.gif

Thursday night, a puncture, had to walk 3 miles, 1 ripped tube, and a piece of metal, nail ?
angry.gif

This morning another puncture, only about 1/2 mile from home, so I took the bike home and I'm on the bus.

All on the back,

Result ,

new tyres ordered and already shipped, hopefully arrive tomorrow
old tyre worn, but not that bad, only don't about 3000 miles on it, it's what came with the bike a Kenda Kwick

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
HP you'll have to make a sacrifice to appease the Puncture fairy ... send me £20 (cash or blank cheque) and all your punctures will be a thing of the past :whistle:

Is that on top of the £60 I'm sending Wiggle for two Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres? Sheesh! Expensive business, cycling.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had 1 a day for 5 days once untill i binned the tyres i had been using , it happens .

I avoid sludge inner tubes as i find that at higher road tyre pressures the stuff just gets blown out of the hole before it seals and the stuff gunks up road valves.

Last week i had 2 , first in a good 6 months of riding although the second one could have been a pinch flat caused by doing a tube change on dark road by the power of bike light.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Interestingly, I took the tube out this afternoon, ran it through some water in search of the puncture, but found nothing. I put it back on the wheel, pumped it up and it's still fully inflated now.

Any ideas what could've caused it, or has some prankster just let my tyre down?

roadrider

I got 4 in a week on the maxxis detonators that came on my boardman hybrid so I binned them and got some marathon+ and so far so good,although i did have one of those sludge tubes explode over night in the marathons. It scared the crap outta me as I had the bike in the kitchen for a quick getaway in the morning and at 3am.....KABOOM!!!........ . Couldnt sleep the rest of the night as nothing looked outa place in the dark and only in the morning spotted green goo on the floor next morning. No cheap tyres or tubes is only answer [and leave bike in the shed]
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom