Threw caution to the wind.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
For those who don't know, I came off the bike a couple of weeks ago when a dog run out in front of me.
I damaged tendons in the ankle which was also bruised and cut from the chain ring.
I threw caution to the wind today.(and there was plenty of that)
Against the doctor's advice, I strapped my damaged ankle up and went for a ride on the hybrid . I just couldn't wait any longer.
I went out, full of trepidation,ready at any time to turn back.
All went well. The ankle held up really well and I clocked up a zone 2 ride of 25.4 miles.
That felt good ,I can tell you.
The strapping was enough to support the ankle and I felt just a twinge now and then, particularly on the climbs.
The ankle still feels fine and I am now officially back on the bike.
Shall do another zone 2 ride tomorrow of just 10 miles as a recovery ride. and then take it from there.
I can't tell you how chuffed I am.

I can't tell you how chuffed I am....... i think you just did joe ... well done ,and long may it continue:bicycle:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Against the doctor's advice, I strapped my damaged ankle up and went for a ride on the hybrid . I just couldn't wait any longer.
I went out, full of trepidation,ready at any time to turn back.
All went well. The ankle held up really well and I clocked up a zone 2 ride of 25.4 miles.
You're a very naughty boy! ^_^
Well done, mate. I hope you haven't done too much for a first ride. 25 miles is a long way on a bad ankle.

Skipper

Slowly does it, or the bikes will be back in the shed for a lot longer! One good ride does NOT constitute a complete return to fitness!

OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
You're a very naughty boy! ^_^
Well done, mate. I hope you haven't done too much for a first ride. 25 miles is a long way on a bad ankle.

It was supposed to be 20 mls but I took a wrong turning on the way back and it took a couple of miles before I thought "Hey. I don't remember this bit":eek: And I said " Oh bother" or words to that effect^_^
The ankle is fine. Very well strapped up and I'm a fit old bugger.
Thanks for your concern.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Addict! :laugh:

Be careful though, IIRC ankle tendon injuries can get much worse if you're unlucky just through inflammation/swelling from use when they should be resting.

OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
OK, I give up!

What is a Zone 2 ride?

And, well done on your return to the saddle.

I ride with a heart rate monitor. When using it for training there are 6 zones:-
Zone 1 (60-65% of maximum heart rate): For long, easy rides, to improve the combustion and storage of fats.
Zone 2 (65-75% of MHR): The basic base training zone. Longish rides of medium stress.
Zone 3 (75-82% of MHR): For development of aerobic capacity and endurance with moderate volume at very controlled intensity.
Zone 4 (82-89% of MHR): For simulating pace when tapering for a race.
Zone 5 (89-94% of MHR): For raising anaerobic threshold. Good sessions for 10- and 25-mile time-trials.
Zone 6 (94-100% of MHR): For high-intensity interval training to increase maximum power and speed

You have to know your maximum heart rate.
I find it very useful.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Great stuff BJ and well done on the ride.
I'm currently grounded myself due to a muscle problem in my legs that completely knackers me from time to time for up to a week sometimes. It really does get me down if I'm honest, and not knowing what causes it doesn't help, but its a great feeling to get back in the saddle once it subsides! If there's a zone 0.5 I might go for that!

paul04

Über Member
Just take it easy Joe. when I was running and had trouble with my knee's.
I had a few weeks off, then then knee's felt fine, But a few runs later I was back to square 1, the doctor told me to rest for at least 3 months. then take it easy and build up the miles.

Top Bottom