Thru Axles on Road Bikes (Disk)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
So what are the differences with thru axles (cutting through all the sales spiel)

- Will I be able to get my wheel off easily ?
- Do thru axles still have bearings ?
- What's the main benefit of thru axles?

thanks in advance

JhnBssll

Veteran
-Yes
-Yes
-Increased rigidity of frame and forks

Essentially the thru axle replaces the quick release skewer. As with normal QR hubs the axle is hollow but hole through it is a much larger diameter. The thru axle is threaded at one end and is pushed through a hole in one dropout, through the hub and then screws in to the opposite dropout. Imagine it as a long bolt and you're not far off.

Adam4868

Guru
Just remember to take the correct size allen/hex key with you.On the plus side no more trying to get your wheel centered as with skewers.

JhnBssll

Veteran
That's my experience too but I've also got a QR cam style thru axle on the front of my mountain bike that screws in then locks with the QR lever so there are various types available :laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Main benefit is the wheel (and therefore the disc) goes in the exact same place every time so no disc rub

The road bike standard seems to have settled on 12mm through axles.

It has, but there's a reasonable amount of variance in overall axle length and amount of threaded/unthreaded shaft, even between bikes supposedly using the same standard; Shimano's eThru for example. This can cause compatibility issues so check carefully when assessing whether a wheel/fork/frame/axle combo will work and ideally get a ruler/calipers on a physical sample.

Also, thru axles do not mean the wheel will centre and locate perfectly every time, especially in forks where the dropouts vary in how positively they capture and locate the axle ends. You still need to check the wheel by eye - you'll soon know if it's p!$$ed as the disc will rub.

As for the cam-lock type, I find setting the correct tension and aligning the lever where it won't get flipped open if snagged can be a right PITA. I much prefer the twist-lock type, either with the clockable lever or hex-fastening. These are far easier to use with a contrary fork as well, as per the above dropout consideration. The clockable twist-lever type also makes it easy to see if the axle is backing out if you align it with a stay/fork leg.

mangid

Guru
-Yes
-Yes
-Increased rigidity of frame and forks

Essentially the thru axle replaces the quick release skewer. As with normal QR hubs the axle is hollow but hole through it is a much larger diameter. The thru axle is threaded at one end and is pushed through a hole in one dropout, through the hub and then screws in to the opposite dropout. Imagine it as a long bolt and you're not far off.

Wifeys bike, a 2018 Marin, came with Naild thru axle's, where the non QR end connects with a T bolt, and rotating the QR thru 90 locks the axle before tensioning with the QR itself.

Unfortunately the bike shop didn't tell me about this, and I got in an awful mess (resulting in the T bolt becoming undone ....) the first time I removed the wheels.

Once you've got the hang of it the system makes perfect sense, and is quick and easy to use. So, if you're out on the road and offer assistance to some poor soul, have a quick check before diving in and unscrewing the thru axle ;-)

Top Bottom