Thru Axles on Road Bikes (Disk)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
-Increased rigidity of frame and forks
That's the marketing advantage (I'll grant it's useful extra stiffness on a suspension fork, but it's pretty irrelevant on a road bike).

The real advantage is that your front disc brake can't eject the wheel from the frame, whilst it is possible with a regular QR.
Marketing people aren't allowed to mention this, lest it compromises the legal defence should someone with a broken neck sue them.

Beaware there are various different thru axle standards. Be sure to get compatible forks and hubs when you order.

I get what you say, but I think the only standards that need apply are the axle diameter and OLD* both of which are pretty much established. Other variables such as locking mechanism, position-setting and thread diameter should be left to the fork/axle manufacturer. The axle is now a fork component, not a standard component comparable to a QR, that could be used with any wheel.

By allowing the fork manufacturer to play with the variables (but stick to the standards) we'll end up with some nifty innovation which will spill over to other manufacturers if they are worth copying. Initially therefore, a replacement axle will be expensive, but it is not something that you will want to replace often.

The video that @mangid linked to in the post above, seems to show a nice innovation. This is miles ahead of early TAs by the likes of Rock Shox which were primitive and irritating. Yet, both adhere to the standard axle diameter and OLD.

*OLD, for those who are not (yet) with it, stands for Over Locknut Dimension, which is essentially the width of the hub and by necessity the ID of the fork.

Top Bottom