Thunderstorms - anyone else being deluged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I seem to live in a little corner which misses a lot of the bad weather forecast tho’ Monday was not great but just a Scotch Mist really.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rain was forecast here but I looked out of the window and the sky was blue; beautiful sunshine. I needed to go to the shops, so I decided to ride there, drop my shopping off afterwards, then go for a longer ride. I wrote a shopping list, topped up my tyre pressures, and was putting my cycling shoes on when... I noticed it had suddenly gone dark outside! I looked out of the window again and could see that It was peeing down about 100 metres down the road. 5 seconds later it started here.

That was about 20 minutes ago. I bet if I go and look again I will see that it has stopped... Yep - crazy weather! I'll do the ride to the shops, but it looks like it will be raining again in half an hour*** so I'll give the longer ride a miss. Tomorrow is looking more favourable for that, and Friday perhaps for a metric century.

I was just looking at videos of the flooding in the Yorkshire Dales. One scene looked familiar, apart from the fact that it was under water. It was near the Dales Bike Centre, which we called in at on the annual Dales forum ride a few years ago.

*** Pah - I got caught out on the way to the shops! Fortunately, I had taken a spare carrier bag with me so I put that over the saddle while I shopped. When I came back out the rain had stopped but there was a puddle on the protective bag which would have been soaked into the saddle otherwise.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know I shouldn't delight in someone else's misfortune but that made me laugh, Colin. Ta. :laugh::evil::rain:
I was annoyed with myself, but if the thunderstorm had happened a few hours earlier the water flooding in could have caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage to the ceilings below.

I have never made that mistake again, but I had to remind my sister not to leave the window open when she last slept in the attic bedroom in this house in Todmorden. It is another big Velux window with great room-flooding potential!

Last edited:
Started thundering here, with light rain, at about 19:00
Stopped now
I was just looking at videos of the flooding in the Yorkshire Dales. One scene looked familiar, apart from the fact that it was under water. It was near the Dales Bike Centre, which we called in at on the annual Dales forum ride a few years ago.

Charlie, a girl I know, who was one of our Nurses, before she moved back near her parents (& got a job up there) has been flooded out of her home, & almost lost two Dogs to the waters

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We flew home last night from Turkey. We were treated to a huge thunderstorm as we flew over the Balkans. It was amazing to watch it from above at night.

Top Bottom