Thunderstorms - anyone else being deluged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Flood sirens went off down the upper valley on Sunday.
I was told that they went off in Hebden Bridge, but I didn't hear them in Todmorden and I was in all day. I think I can hear them from inside the house, especially at this time of year when I have 3 or 4 windows open.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was told that they went off in Hebden Bridge, but I didn't hear them in Todmorden and I was in all day. I think I can hear them from inside the house, especially at this time of year when I have 3 or 4 windows open.
Council leader has said that householders should do more to prevent their properties flooding, in case it rains whilst they're away on holiday.

ColinJ

For heavens sake man! Your house wont float with the port holes open!

Council leader has said that householders should do more to prevent their properties flooding, in case it rains whilst they're away on holiday.
I used to sleep in the attic bedroom in my old house in Hebden Bridge. One summer many years ago it had been a very muggy night so I had the Velux window wide open. I got up next morning and went off to work.

That evening I was on my way home on foot in Hebden Bridge town centre when a thunderstorm suddenly let rip. The rain was coming down so hard that it was bouncing back up into the air from the ground. I took shelter in the doorway of the local Spar and got chatting to someone who was also standing there under cover. He said he was glad that he'd remembered to close his attic window before going to work ... :eek:

So, after sprinting home and getting soaked, I dived into the house and ran up two flights of stairs to find water gushing in through that Velux window! My duvet and mattress below the window had acted as giant sponges and absorbed a lot of the water, and the overspill had soaked the carpet but I had got there just in time to stop it going through the floor and bringing the ceiling below down!

It took me a couple of days to dry the bed and the carpet.

classic33

Leg End Member
I used to sleep in the attic bedroom in my old house in Hebden Bridge. One summer many years ago it had been a very muggy night so I had the Velux window wide open. I got up next morning and went off to work.

That evening I was on my way home on foot in Hebden Bridge town centre when a thunderstorm suddenly let rip. The rain was coming down so hard that it was bouncing back up into the air from the ground. I took shelter in the doorway of the local Spar and got chatting to someone who was also standing there under cover. He said he was glad that he'd remembered to close his attic window before going to work ... :eek:

So, after sprinting home and getting soaked, I dived into the house and ran up two flights of stairs to find water gushing in through that Velux window! My duvet and mattress below the window had acted as giant sponges and absorbed a lot of the water, and the overspill had soaked the carpet but I had got there just in time to stop it going through the floor and bringing the ceiling below down!

It took me a couple of days to dry the bed and the carpet.
You were lucky your bed was where it was.

Still if the standing water came in that way, you'd have a few more worries.

pjd57

Veteran
Threatened all day in Glasgow but didn't arrive until around 19:30, just a few minutes after we'd decided to walk down to Asda.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Had the mother of all thunder/rain/hail storms here in the French Alps last Thursday evening. THIS POST refers.

And this is just one result, of many, from it, the kind of problem that ended up curtailing the last two Alpine Tour de France stages:

View attachment 477580

ColinJ

Water can get into the cellar of this house in very wet conditions. There is a small gap in the mortar between a couple of stone blocks near the bottom corner of the cellar where the water dribbles in. I thought about blocking it up, but the water dries up fairly quickly from the floor. I'd rather have that than a damp wall which might affect the room above.

I've just been down to check it. There is no standing water but the floor has a damp patch where water has been over the past few days. There isn't anything of value down there but the electricity distribution board and meter are on the wall about 1.5 metres up from the floor. If the cellar flooded that would be a huge problem, but 1 cm of water for a couple of days once or twice a year isn't a big deal.

We had some thunderstorms yesterday. The dog dashed to the window and barked at them and then looked at me as if to say, look this is important big noise, come and look. So he wasn't satisfied until I got up and went to the window with him and assured him there was nothing there. Low growls continued to emanate every time there was a peel though.

Top Bottom