Thunderstorms - anyone else being deluged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Thunder and lightning in Telemark. About an hour earlier than forecasted. Made for a speedy retreat from the lake!

screenman

Legendary Member
Just spent the weekend at the Heckington show, for over 27 years I have helped with the grass track racing there, never have I known it be so wet all credit to the riders who had travelled from afar to race.

On Thursday evening I was driving into Margate at about 7.30pm, to take part in an acoustic music night at a pub.
I had driven through what I guess was the edge of a storm, and had heavy rain for literally about 20 seconds before passing out the other side of it. But as I got near Margate seafront, the heavens opened and it was like a scene out if a disaster movie. An absolute cloudburst. People were walking off the beach soaked through to the skin, and the water was standing 2 or 3 inches deep right across the road. I was driving at maybe 10 miles an hour with the wipers on fastest speed, and it was still hard to see. Fortunately, by the time I had found a parking space in the town, it had all but stopped, and I managed to get to the pub just about dry.
I started with "Bad Moon Rising", and for my second song Ralph McTell's "Summer Lightning"........

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Glossop lies at the exit to a "bowl" of hills. As such, occasionally, it floods when the river can't cope with the volume of rain. Since I've lived here it's only happened once; cars floating down the high street, that sort of thing

Yesterday wasn't far off. It rained from about 11am Saturday constantly until Sunday night. Here is a video of the (normally) small river that runs through the town

There’s a flood warning in Glossop. Just recorded this video of the Brook behind my house in Manor Park. https://t.co/0UnKvYgo9W

No thunderstorms but the heavy rain flooded a few roads this wknd. One of my regular roads was shut. I proceeded down it anyway in the hope I could get through and it looked like they'd just finished cleaning it of mud off the fields. Digger parked up and a road cleaner doing a final sweep of the mud and sand.

Stephenite

Membå
Thunder and lightning in Telemark. About an hour earlier than forecasted. Made for a speedy retreat from the lake!

It was non-stop donner und blitzen from 4 o'clock until long after bedtime. We had a half-hour electricity blackout and no mobile network since. We're halfway to Oslo now so I can resume CC surfing.

Slioch

Guru
Just had a medium sized thunderstorm pass over a few miles to the north of York. Heavy rain for about 15mins interrupted my gardening.

I was watching a couple of hot air balloons landing in fields near my house yesterday evening. Don't think they'll be out again today.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We have escaped the worst of the storms here over the past week or so but I just went for a walk round the local park and there is an area which has been flooded. (The park can be used to store surplus water as part of the local flood prevention scheme.) I also noticed on my bike ride last night that many of the hilltop lanes are covered in gravel, obviously washed down from hills, fields and verges by heavy rain.

My satellite signal went off for about 10 minutes this afternoon as thunderstorms passed over nearby.

pawl

Legendary Member
Got drenched getting here this morning

Looks like another on the way home

Still, it keeps the numpties off the cycle track

and most of the roads too

Pi%#& it down in The Desford area at 5 15 pm.Heavy showers since 11 30. Went out at 8 30.Several riders out for a weekday Must have seen the local forecast as me out early before deluge started.

Wonder who the old guy was loading various animals into a funny looking boat.

classic33

Leg End Member
We have escaped the worst of the storms here over the past week or so but I just went for a walk round the local park and there is an area which has been flooded. (The park can be used to store surplus water as part of the local flood prevention scheme.) I also noticed on my bike ride last night that many of the hilltop lanes are covered in gravel, obviously washed down from hills, fields and verges by heavy rain.

My satellite signal went off for about 10 minutes this afternoon as thunderstorms passed over nearby.
Flood sirens went off down the upper valley on Sunday.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Dear Mr Kettley,

I was looking forward to today's forecast thunder storms and booted up the lightning strikes website when I got home from work. Nothing on the radar. Then over lunch time I watched the storms develop; one over east Lancs and another out in the Irish sea about 10 miles west of Southport. The Lancashire storm was thundering west, the sea storm moved north and was nearing land... both looking likely to arrive over Lancaster and Morecambe. Then around 2pm they both decided to move due north and missed me completely :angry:

Disgruntled, Lancs

Top Bottom