Thunderstorms - anyone else being deluged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We had a pretty impressive storm about 6.30 last night with very little rain. This morning I was awoken by another impressive storm with some spectacular lightning and loud thunder at 04.30. It has been rumbling more or less all morning so far with a few heavy showers.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I (genuinely) got struck by lightning some years ago.
Walking to the pub across some open land. It was raining and I had my brolly up when it struck. I remember the sensation as it shot 'through' me.
Cant recall what footwear I had on but assume that is what saved me.
I do remember breaking the land speed record as I ran to the pub and ordered a large whisky.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Walking to the pub across some open land. It was raining and I had my brolly up when it struck. I remember the sensation as it shot 'through' me.
Not really... The lightning bolt will have travelled 5-50 miles through the air to hit you, so it isn't going to be stopped by the soles of your shoes!

A young man was walking across some open space near my sister's local shops when he was hit by a lightning bolt. "His clothes were blackened and one of his shoes had completely disintegrated."

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I do remember breaking the land speed record as I ran to the pub and ordered a large whisky.
This set me to thinking about the guy who got hit numerous times. Of course Wiki had the full sp:

"Roy Cleveland Sullivan (February 7, 1912 – September 28, 1983) was a United States park ranger in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Between 1942 and 1977, Sullivan was hit by lightning on seven different occasions and survived all of them. ...Sullivan was described as a brawny man with a broad, rugged face, who resembled the actor Gene Hackman. He was avoided by people later in life because of their fear of being hit by lightning..."

The last bit made me laugh out loud, prompting a query from my daughter, who told me she once heard about a woman so traumatised by a strke that she had to undergo extended therapy. After a year or so, her therapist, in a 'get back in the saddle' vein, said 'there's a storm coming right now. What I need you to do is...' You'll never guess what happened next...

Top Bottom