Thursday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham March 28th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Fantastic. Cold but not murderously so. Bread pud at the cabin. Beautiful sunrise. Legs worked surprisingly well despite lack of miles.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
2384337 said:
You are clearly paving the way to avoid cooking duties in Normandy.
Think of it as deconstructed mince pie with rum butter.

kimble

Veteran
And I'm home, with the trains being surprisingly efficient and non-stressful. For the full arctic FNRttC effect, I got a random blizzard on the ride home form Mordor Central, in spite of it now being a respectable 3C in Birmingham.

Lungs are still crap, and my peak flow's significantly down. I'm hoping that'll improve overnight, rather than turn nasty. I think it's fair to say that I'm not built for more than an hour or two in freezing air.

On the other hand, I got the layers right. Other than the inevitable cold feet, and the usual shivering when stopped, I wasn't excessively cold on the ride (and still had awaterproof in reserve). Bringing a pannier full of down jacket was entirely sensible.

So I can write this one up as a valuable learning experience, in line with the Manchester-Morcambe deluge (I missed the Whitstable one).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that was a brilliant ride.. no really.. it was.
It was cold, but not chillingly so. The famed Southend ride was far colder.

Only 50 riders, which in a way was good news as it meant the ride moved along very nicely. It also meant everyone fitted into both the Cabin at Faygate and the Lobster Pot at Felpham, with no poor souls having to wait outside in the cold.

The other good news was there there where no mechanical's.. well ok 1 maybe.. if you call a stone stuck in a cleat a mechanical.

I did like the different route too. Straight down the A23 and the A29 including that Bury Hill. None of that dirty cross country stuff... most excellent.

After a cracking full English at the Lobster Pot it was time for myself, rb58 and LongMartin to head for home on the SMRbtH. Even though it's not the longest ride back, it's one of the toughest due to all the undulations, until you get to Crawley then it's near flat to home. The incessant headwind didn't help either. The descent of Bury Hill is always a joy.....no.. in fact the FNRttC is a joy. I lost count of how many types of liquid in hip flasks I managed to cadge sips of. Kept the chills at bay, so thanks peeps.

156 miles for me....Cheers to Simon and cheers to all the riders for making these rides so special.

FNRttC & SMRbtH route
felpham.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some pics from Pulborough

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The big old Dawes liked it too, no rattles or buzzes following a bit of recent TLC. My GPS didn't appreciate being stuck out on the bars in that cold though, and feigned battery death until it got warmed up.

Andrew

U

User10571

It's a relief to hear that the night passed without incident.
Confess to envy over your to-die-for sunrise.

U

User10571

Nor here, funnily enough.
Like Roy Batty - The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long.
To be replaced by something akin to Pantone cool grey 3 or 4 for the rest of the day.

rb58

Enigma
A cracking opener to the 2013 FNRttC season. Dry roads; a slight tail wind; few delays; not as cold as I expected it to be; getting the layering just right; a tasty breakfast; great company; a glorious dawn. I enjoyed wayfinding and using that as an opportunity to get my legs working to get back to the front - even if I did seem to be completing a one man time trial round the Billingshurst by-pass. Highlight for me was the herd of deer running across the front of us in Horsham.

I set out on the SMRbtH, but resolve was weakened by the headwind, the extra weight I carry these days, and the lack of fitness in my legs, so I bailed and headed for Arundel where I jumped a train to Horsham where family duties ensued. I only wish I'd decided to quit *before* I'd climbed up to the top of Bury Hill again. Respect to Martin and Ian who took it all in their stride. Clearly I'll need to work hard on my fitness if i'm to keep a place on 'team fast'.

Thanks for your company everyone, and to our leader as always for his good humour and having the idea in the first place.

wanda2010

Guru
It may not have been as cold as my first ever ride back in 2011, but I've now been on enough rides to know that I'm so not built/made for cold weather. Obvious, given my Jamaican background, I suppose, but I had to be sure ^_^.

All the good things have already been reported above. Only with this group would I use the best modern technology I can afford to go riding in below freezing temperatures. At night. Sometimes in the rain.

If anybody is interested I can recommend Mycoal hand and foot warmers, Blazewear gloves (cycling edition) and Thermosoles . Dry weather only. Lots of layers helped too.

Roll on York/Hull.:wahhey:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
That went about as we'll as could have done. Fifty was a far better bet than a hundred, not least because many of us were a bit out of shape (notable exceptions being Bruce and Jim G, both in full butcher's dog mode), and we needed a gentle introduction to the 2013 season. It was cold but not dreadfully cold. We worked as a club, which was nice to see. The stops were fantastic - how lucky are we to have found Mark, a Prince among Truck Stop Owners, and aren't the sausages at the Lobster Pot deeeelishus!

Smooth roads under a full moon, a mighty dawn and breakfast with The Fridays, followed by beer in the nicest pub in Bognor, a train ride to one of England's loveliest villages, a small boat across the estuary with the intrepid Claudine, curry with friends and sleep deepened by the sound of breaking waves. I am a fortunate chap.

Ps. Susie and Bridget rode down from Farnham and had a great time.

BigGee

That was actually the coldest I think I have ever riden a bike in, at least for any prolonged period, it just did not feel like it was. My thermometer bottomed out at minus 5 at the pitstop at Faygate and all the bottles frozen solid when we came back out would have suggested that was about right. The good thing was that we all knew it would be cold and dressed accordingly. The old adage about there not being bad weather, merely bad clothing is quite true. It was also quite dry and so we were spared that creeping damp coldness that seems to get through whatever you are wearing. The fact that we were blessed with no mechanicals/visitations worth talking about and that the ride kept rolling along with minimal stops was what we all hoped for. Any long waits would have been hard.

Like just about evryone else, my milleage so far this year has been a little curtailed by the weather so it was good to survive the ride in reasonable shape and feel more confifent for the challenges to come, In my case cycling to Hull in three weeks time. One of my break levers ceased up just after the stop and so I did the later part of the ride on one brake and only in the big ring, which was a bit of a struggle on Bury Hill. Fortunately I am the sort of wimp that rides a compact and the 50x28 combination was just (and only just) adequate. I am not sure what was the cause of that, anyone ever had a break lever freeze up, is that possible?

It was good to see everyone again and you got the sense that everyone had been looking forward to this and ready to get back in the groove. It has been a long winter in more ways than one. Bognor was my second and third FNRttC and as I was not in great shape for the first one were probably the one that finally set the tone for me. It probably remains my favourite of the regular rides and the change of route did not do it any great harm, I actually enjoyed the challenge of Bury Hill, even in my depleted gearing. The traffic was fine until near the end when a few racers seemed to have woken up. As usual the stops were first class and I hope that our rounds of applause showed our appreciation.

Riding home from the south never really has the same appeal for me as it means having to do the whole of london south to north to get home which is no fun when you are tired. In truth I had done enough for my first long ride of the year anyway. I still had 13 miles to do when I got to Victoria and even though it had warmed up to a point were I was now wearing far to much I was hit by how strong the wind had got. Maybe it was like that last night but we did not notice as it was behind us, but unfortunately for me it was blowing staight out of the north east this time which was exactly where I was heading. The last leg therefore became a bit of a slog, well done to martin and Ian for battling it all the way home.

So I arrived home at just after 12 with 98 miles on the clock and nointerest whatsoever in going arounfd the block to make it up to the ton. Some food, a sleep and a shower being the far more attractive option. I was also in possession of a mobile phone with a cracked screen which annoyingly dropped out of my pocket during the night. Well it still works and its insured so it could have been worse I guess.

So thanks to all the brave souls who made it a great opening to the 2013 season and celebrated another ride to go down in FNRttC legend. As usual thanks to Simon, the wayfarers and the TECS for keeping it all together. See you all in York in three weeks.

TimO

Guru
Yes, my knees were complaining a bit at various stages of the ride, up to and including, cycling from East Croydon to home, although the several pints of medicinal alcohol helped null the pain! At both endpoints, Felpham and Faygate, I was way marking towards the end, and sprinted back to the front before the leaders got there, and on both occasions it was a bad move, because my knees made me pay for it. I should have learnt my lesson when I did it at Felpham, but once I caught up with the head of the ride, I then proceeded to slowly moving backwards as I found my legs no longer agreeing to play. :rolleyes: I need to do more long rides in the winter months, but the weather hasn't really been helping this year.

I thought that was a fine ride, and needless to say, the cold didn't effect me at all, I was quite comfortable for the entire ride. We did have a gloriously visible moon for almost the entire ride, which was nice, and it was bone dry, which is also a very desirable trait for a ride of such duration. The traffic leaving London was lighter than it would be for a Friday night ride, which I've noticed on the previous Thursday night rides, but the corollary of that is that they tend to also be going faster, and have less patience. Luckily nothing bad happened, just the normal London motorised peanuts with horns.

Zev didn't actually bugger off and find somewhere else to be the pet cat at, even though she missed her wet food breakfast, and had to survive on the very well filled bowl of dry cat food (which is now almost empty after 36 hours and two cats have done their work!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2385502 said:
I'd call Gregg having to carry his bike to Billingshurst station a mechanical. It did give a strong visual parallel to the Good Friday precession in Bognor though. Greg, bike over shoulder, crown of polystyrene. Church in Bognor, battering ram to break down a paedo's door before calling down God's clensing fire.

Oh yes indeed... I was thinking more along the lines of punctures etc.

Top Bottom