Thursday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham March 28th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
After brekkie I plan to ride to Hassocks and get the train. I did this last time. From memory, it starts with a big grinding hill, followed by a long wheeeeeee downhill (which is what we avoid when we go over the grass), followed by lots of nice little lanes with no real hilliness, ending eye-rollingly tired in a little cake shop outside Hassocks station. Anyone of a glacially slow persuasion who wants to join me, please do. I may need a bit of encouragement having lost some fitness over the winter.

Andrew

wanda2010

Guru
Glacially slow persuasion, you say? *thinks, then wanders off to see how London-friendly this Hassocks place is*

Edit: Hassocks is a very London-friendly place, so I'd like to join you, if you don't mind DT. My cycling fitness is laughable and I need hill-training anyway *makes a note to use inhaler before the approach* :smile:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
2292533 said:
Right then, who is up for a season opener fixed.

I'll be doing this Single Speedy... More comfy bike than the fixed.

And echoing Ian, this ride home is fab, truly one the the best. One will tell on the day whether one stays for beerio's or not however..

. From memory, it starts with a big grinding hill, followed by a long wheeeeeee downhill (which is what we avoid when we go over the grass),

Andrew
DT - if you are referring to the little lump that is bury hill, you can avoid doing the long grinding bit by taking the left at the bottom (signed Madehurst) which takes you along a superbly lovely lane, up and down a little, ending up at the top of the same hill at whiteways roundabout. Marginally longer but much more enjoyable. And of course you still get the wheeee bit down the other side.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'll be doing this Single Speedy... More comfy bike than the fixed.

And echoing Ian, this ride home is fab, truly one the the best. One will tell on the day whether one stays for beerio's or not however..
It's obviously going to be a horrible ride home this time though due to the absence of moi. :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
DT - if you are referring to the little lump that is bury hill, you can avoid doing the long grinding bit by taking the left at the bottom (signed Madehurst) which takes you along a superbly lovely lane, up and down a little, ending up at the top of the same hill at whiteways roundabout. Marginally longer but much more enjoyable. And of course you still get the wheeee bit down the other side.
My memory is hazy, and I don't know the local names anyway, but checking my route the uphill was the B2139 through Houghton into Amberley. The wheeeee bit was the B2139 from Amberley into Storrington. IIRC it was downhill and straight with a good surface and visibility so even a cowardy custard like me let go of the brakes for a bit.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
After brekkie I plan to ride to Hassocks and get the train. I did this last time. From memory, it starts with a big grinding hill, followed by a long wheeeeeee downhill (which is what we avoid when we go over the grass), followed by lots of nice little lanes with no real hilliness, ending eye-rollingly tired in a little cake shop outside Hassocks station. Anyone of a glacially slow persuasion who wants to join me, please do. I may need a bit of encouragement having lost some fitness over the winter.

Andrew
please don't go back on the B2139 to Storrington. I'm begging you! I'll sort you out a route through the Parham estate - we're not allowed in to that on the way down, but the gates will be open by the time you get back.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
please don't go back on the B2139 to Storrington. I'm begging you! I'll sort you out a route through the Parham estate - we're not allowed in to that on the way down, but the gates will be open by the time you get back.
Why so? Because of the hill and the bit of the A284 going North from Arundel? It wasn't bad when I did it before. I even saw a weasel/stoat/thing on the main road (alive, not squished).

Edit. I've just looked at the map and I see what you mean. A loop around to the North of Storrington would avoid a bit of urban riding through the town.

Anyway, I'll take local advice at the time. I was making the route up as I went along before. Anyone else wishing to join Team Glacial, feel free but be aware that if it's bucketing down with rain/hail/frogs I may just be heading for the nearest station.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I'll join the SMRbtH that DT & Wanda propose as far as Hassocks: it sounds as though heads are being got round the route & I shall be happy to follow the Team Glacial leader whoever s/he may be - &, yes, if necessary to a rain-protected station.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'll join the SMRbtH that DT & Wanda propose as far as Hassocks: it sounds as though heads are being got round the route & I shall be happy to follow the Team Glacial leader whoever s/he may be - &, yes, if necessary to a rain-protected station.

Gordon.. you're shirt in your avatar says as fit as a fiddle.
Join the speedy....:thumbsup:
And it didn't rain that much on the Brighton run for home............honest ;)

Top Bottom