Ti Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Would it make more sense to purchase a frame only, then move wheels and group set from my Merida to the new Ti frame?

I would probably need a new seat post and stem and bars.

One bike would go if I got the Ti so this kinda kills 2 birds, the group set and wheels are relatively new just over 1yr.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe, assuming the wheels, bottom bracket, headset etc are compatible. You’ll obviously need all new cables etc.

CXRAndy

Guru
Check the bottom bracket will accept your crankset. The brakes are the same fitment, whether rim or disc brakes. also check seat tube size too, most are standard, but just check , or you will be buying a new post.

I built my Kinesis Tripster V2 ATR from frame and forks only. Its a lovely bike to ride, a true all rounder.

Venod

Eh up
Check the bottom bracket will accept your crankset. The brakes are the same fitment, whether rim or disc brakes. also check seat tube size too, most are standard, but just check , or you will be buying a new post.

Good advice about the crankset but brakes can be different fitment, there are direct mount rim brakes, post, flat mount and IS mount disc brakes and I have four bikes all with different post sizes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Johnno260
I bought 2 Planet X TI frames and then built the bikes up myself from scratch using both newly purchased and donor parts from an older bike.
Go for it. There's are certain satisfaction of building a bike up yourself. It's a great way to learn the mechanics of a bike build. Anything you cant do, ask your LBS to do or ask advice. I got them to fit the headset. Everything else I did myself.

Planet X have some great deals on complete bikes. Might work out cheaper than buying a frame and finding you need extra bits.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
building your own bike is so rewarding and as @ianrauk said up thread, it teaches you so much about the mechanics of the bike....even if it cost more than an off the shelf model, it doesn't matter as its bespoke to you

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
What Merida? What Ti frame?

It's my Merida Ride 400 the frame isn't worth much now it's discontinued and superseded by the Scultura.

I was looking at the Reilly T325 frameset, it's 105 spec if you purchase a complete bike from Reilly, I would use their own branded seatpost, and use a new headset, stem and bars, my DCR wheels aren't that old and the groupset isn't that old on the Merida either.

I was kinda fielding the idea to see if it was daft, I can ask the mobile mechanic I use about the crankset, he sold the Merida to me and upgraded it recently as well so he knows the bike well.

I also have some 105 5800 components I can still sell off as well.

EDIT: Merida is currenty 105 R7000 spec groupset.

EDIT: Other frameset was VN Boreas I was looking at.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Seems a fair idea if you don’t want disc brakes.
Check the drop on the existing brakes is compatible.
It will cost rather more to do than you expect :unsure:

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
What Merida? What Ti frame?

Merida as a brand I love, I'm just gutted the local mechanic closed his store he didn't enjoy selling bikes he just loves fixing them and talking about them!

CF scare the life out of me for some reason, I have always been adverse to it, even though there are some nice deals on the Scultura 5000 Bahrain to be found currently.

Discs I'm not too bothered about, hydro I would tend to avoid, if they're mech I would want Spyres again.

Top Bottom