Tiagra 4700 Front derailleur not shifting down fully

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfm401

Has anyone else had issues with Shimano front derailleurs, specifically Tiagra 4700? I had it changed at LBS last year, to cut a very very long story short, after fiddling with it for hours (limit screws, cable tension etc) I couldn't get it to stop rubbing in the 2 largest cogs at the rear and the smallest cog at the front (I run 50/34 at the front). Eventually I realised that when I changed down I could push the derailleur back with my fingers another few mm which stopped it rubbing. The LBS said it was corroded, given it had done 3 winters I thought "fair enough" and had it replaced. Now the new one has done the same thing (2,500 miles and 1 year)!!! I guess I can kind of put up with it as I only notice it when climbing, but as most cyclists know any unwanted noise gets on your nerves!

Has anyone had similar issues, and how did you solve them?

Thanks, Paul.

si_c

Guru
Sounds like the shop did a poor job of setting the new derailleur up, definitely shouldn't rub in any gear, let alone at the limits. Certainly that hasn't been my experience using Tiagra 4700.

Probably worth spending a bit of time getting the limit screws set correctly, making sure the derailleur angle is correct if a band on and getting the cable tension dialed in.

OP
OP
P

pfm401

Sounds like the shop did a poor job of setting the new derailleur up, definitely shouldn't rub in any gear, let alone at the limits. Certainly that hasn't been my experience using Tiagra 4700.

Probably worth spending a bit of time getting the limit screws set correctly, making sure the derailleur angle is correct if a band on and getting the cable tension dialed in.
HI. to be be fair to the shop it was fine when it was set up and they're a really good set of mechanics. I'm pretty sure it's just corroded, otherwise it should shift fully - as I say I can shift it down with my fingers so no rub. It's the same even with the cable off altogether

Ajax Bay

Guru
This is a new(er) FD-4700. It's the old one that was corroded @figbat - not yet clear that the new one is. Is the FD-4700 made of specially corrosion vulnerable material?
So let's get this right: with the lower limit screw wound up and the cable off, the FD cage physically will not go far enough inwards to keep clear of the chain when in small ring / largest sprocket?
Is that correct? If so, has the crankset or bottom bracket been changed since new?
Can you "push the [one year old] derailleur back with [your] fingers another few mm which stops it rubbing"?

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
P

pfm401

All

Thanks for your replies. I'm afraid I've some humble pie to eat, I released the cable and it did go further back I set the thing up from scratch with a new cable and all seems fine.

I still can't blame the LBS, probably needed a tweak in winter from what they did, but I overhauled it and must have made a bit of a pig's ear of it. It did seem similar to what it was before when the LBS told me it was corroded (but that one was over 3 years old and I do use it more or less every day in winter).

Many thanks for your help and sorry to waste your time!

Paul.

All uphill

Still rolling along
All

Thanks for your replies. I'm afraid I've some humble pie to eat, I released the cable and it did go further back I set the thing up from scratch with a new cable and all seems fine.

I still can't blame the LBS, probably needed a tweak in winter from what they did, but I overhauled it and must have made a bit of a pig's ear of it. It did seem similar to what it was before when the LBS told me it was corroded (but that one was over 3 years old and I do use it more or less every day in winter).

Many thanks for your help and sorry to waste your time!

Paul.
Very honourable admission. :becool:

Top Bottom