Tiagra cassette removal tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The spindle in the centre makes the tool far more stable, as suggested by mushroom boy. The tool is infinitely better with the spindle and the only reason you should own one without a spindle is if you have solid axles.
This might well be true, but the spindle-less tool works fine if you replace the skewer and loosely tighten the locknut - as in the video.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Let them buy their own stupid non-stable tools.
Glad you're not my mate you miserable git^_^

simon.r

Person
Mine looks like this:

hypercracker.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
The tool without the spindle does sit "just as square" but there is a risk, unless you put the QR back on (which is best practice with that tool but a bit of a faff), that the tool will slip out when torque is applied. Having said that the lockring is only tightened to 40Nm and normally clicks loose easily. The 'spindle' mitigates that risk, and if you haven't got the tool already, is worth opting for. I don't think that there's much difference in cost or availability - for example this from Wiggle. Google "cassette removal tool shimano"

Venod

Eh up
Yes there is nothing wrong in buying the tool with the spindle if your only using it on QR wheels but the one without is usable on solid axles as well, so if you have both type of axle buying 2 tools is not necessary,

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes there is nothing wrong in buying the tool with the spindle if your only using it on QR wheels but the one without is usable on solid axles as well, so if you have both type of axle buying 2 tools is not necessary,
- and remenber to replace the wheelnut and loosely tighten it to hold the tool in place, applies to freewheel removal tools too (DAMHIKT)

Top Bottom