Tiagra cassette removal tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digit

Hi all,
I have a Shimano Tiagra 10 spd cassette that I need to change.
I know I'll need a chain whip but which cassette removal tool?
would an FWE Shimano HG cassette removal tool work?

Cheers
digit

I have a Shimano Tiagra 10 spd cassette that I need to change.
You'll need one of THESE, which TBH looks like the HG one you mentioned :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMG_0830.JPG

Should look like this.

OP
OP
D

digit

Thanks Smokey, Dan,

Cyclops, is the pin part for alignment? .... assume it goes where the skewer is removed from?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Yes the pin slots into the axle to stabilise the tool. I find it quite helpful on mine, but you don't need it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A Shimano cassette tool is Shimano cassette tool, (see also Campag cassette tool, which is different) you also need an adjustable spanner to turn it against the chain whip

But may not have the spindle, it will still be OK without.
The spindle in the centre makes the tool far more stable, as suggested by mushroom boy. The tool is infinitely better with the spindle and the only reason you should own one without a spindle is if you have solid axles.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The spindle in the centre makes the tool far more stable, as suggested by mushroom boy. The tool is infinitely better with the spindle and the only reason you should own one without a spindle is if you have solid axles.
Or if you have friends or acquaintances who have solid axles and know "you're a dab hand with bike stuff" and want you to change their cassette. You can also use the skewer to secure your non spindle cassette tool before applying the spanner if it's being particularly resistant.

Tim Hall

Mine has no spindle, but the central hole is large enough to fit over the axle. It is then held in place by the axle QR mechanism.

Or if you have friends or acquaintances who have solid axles and know "you're a dab hand with bike stuff" and want you to change their cassette. You can also use the skewer to secure your non spindle cassette tool before applying the spanner if it's being particularly resistant.
Let them buy their own stupid non-stable tools.

Top Bottom