Tiagra Vs 105 vs Ultegra hubs.... what is the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Is there any real benefit it paying the extra for one set of these hubs over the other? Looking at some 36 H wheelsets with these hub options, and not entirely sure which one to plump for.

The more expensive ones are better, it's hard to quantify the whys and hows sometimes but it will be the case or they wouldn't get away with it. I bought a new pair of wheels recently and the hub is where i can tell most difference.

400bhp

Guru
Weight is the number 1.

They might have better bearings as you go up the shimano chain. Someone else on here will know.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
If it is a case of better bearing for the cup and cone system.... this is pretty cheap to rectify! I do understand that it is hard to quantify it sometimes, and accept that, anecdotal evidence is definitely applicable in this case.

Not sure how important the weight at the hub really is if you are only talking 100 grams or so. 100 grams on the rim is certainly worth £60ish, but on the hub (all else being equal).... I am not sold

Drago

Legendary Member
The Ultegra ones are a bit lighter and say "Ultegra". In terms of performance and longevity there's not a chocolate mouses pube in it. It's an improvement in weight and finish for a.corresponding increase in price.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have ancient Ultegra hubs laced to some very cheap rims, and I can always roll past folk with fancy wheels on downhill sections.

I might be confusing quality with gravity though.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I doubt you will tell the difference Monty, I'd buy 105 if budget is limited, if not, get the Ultegra ones, because they are a tad lighter and they look better.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Ultegra ones are a bit lighter and say "Ultegra". In terms of performance and longevity there's not a chocolate mouses pube in it. It's an improvement in weight and finish for a.corresponding increase in price.
This is what I've mostly heard. Yesterday's Ultegra becomes tomorrow's 105 anyhow.
I'd say there is little in it. Neither hubs are particularly light due to the steel freewheel.
I Have a 9 y/old pair if Ultegra hubs that given and continue to give excellent service on minimal maintainance. I'd happily go new 105 for a good durable serviceable long life hub.

Drago

Legendary Member

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Having said that ....
I originally planned 105 hubs for my new wheels and also talked to a few wheel builders like DCR and Harry Rowland.
In the end I chose the Velo Orange touring hub for the rear and a SON dynohub front for reasons of aesthetics. I have to say I am impressed with the build quality and design of the VO hub. It also comes apart without tools!
Just need the rest of the bike to get the med in and test them. They do a pair of hubs on the same principle and the weights are pretty good. May be worth a look? Noisy freewheel though!

Top Bottom