Tiagra Vs 105 vs Ultegra hubs.... what is the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Weight and sealing seems to be the answer - the ultegra hubs are apparently very well sealed despite being a cone based hub, so it is about weight and longevity rather than performance. I wonder at what point it is worth using sealed bearing over cup and cone though!

This got me looking at sealed bearing hubs... such as the Miche primito. This is never ending!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Noticeable is subjective...

Drago

Legendary Member
We're not all riding Sora because some people like the lighter weight, some people like the shinier finish, some people like the bragging rights. If there's another tangible benefit then I would question why the manufacturer themselves haven't pounced on it and proclaimed it proudly in their sales gen.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have 105 hubs and all I can say is that they run nice and quietly and appear to have done very well over 18 months of all-weather commuting.

I find a lot of other hubs extremely noisy when freewheeling !

bpsmith

Veteran
We're not all riding Sora because some people like the lighter weight, some people like the shinier finish, some people like the bragging rights. If there's another tangible benefit then I would question why the manufacturer themselves haven't pounced on it and proclaimed it proudly in their sales gen.

Just took a trip over to the Shimano website. NONE of their groupset pages try to sell specific models over others. It's just not their style. It is generally accepted that each range holds improvements over the range below it, so Shimano just concentrate on what's new to each range basically.

It's quite a simple way of displaying their products tbh.

Much like Giant's website giving the specs for their Defy range, for example, where they just tell you what's different between models. They also don't state any performance gain between them either.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shimanos website openly list weights for each individual component, so it's not difficult to work out.

They also mention many times the hierarchy if the products. For example, in several places they refer to Ultegra benefiting from technology trickle down from Dura Ace.

But Shimano are very sensible. They sell their products in numerous markets and knkw they would soon be sued to smithereens if they started making unfounded claim a that X hub rolls better, or Y mech shifts quicker. They simply stick to making claims for empirical data, and not word of mouth urban legend performance spiel that some cyclists use to justify the extra cost to their TT chums.

Once you get to Tiagra/Deore level the only significant differentiator is the weight (and choice of 10/11 speed), and Shimano are happy to list this until the cows come home.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
What trickle down effect? 105 was 10spd from 2007, Tiagra wasn't 10spd until 2012 and Sora is still 9spd since 2009, the only change being STI levers.

The newest additions do no more than add an extra gear.

Top Bottom