Ticking Clicking Bottom Bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Crank noises, i first strip out crankset and regrease, then change BB. But I dont mess about, new threaded bearings cost very little. I generally I fit new bearings once a year as prevention service.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Strip and fill the pedal with fresh grease.
i had the double click on a boardman pedal.

easy to remove the axle

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

They're only 3 months old so if it's them I'll see what Halfords say before stripping

bigjim

Legendary Member
These are serviceable. I do mine all the time. You just gently prise off the seal and inspect the bearings. If ok clean them and repack with a lot of grease. Pess the seal back. I have never had a problem. They are supposed to fail because Shimano do not pack enough grease in there from new. Water washes the grease out. The theory is if you pack loads of grease in the water cannot enter.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Definitely the pedals, put another set on & all was quiet, I could service them, but at only 3 months old, I want to see what Halfords say first

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Are they the like my V8s - with the grease port on?

If so all you have to do is pump more grease in them via the port

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I don't think they do, i can't see an obvious one, I think I'm just disappointed that they have failed after only 3 months, maybe my expectations are too high.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I don't think they do, i can't see an obvious one, I think I'm just disappointed that they have failed after only 3 months, maybe my expectations are too high.

There should be a very small black hex-grub screw in the middle of the pedal on one side. If not, then you are correct, they are the sealed type.

I have not tried those ones myself.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Do you mean this one?

20190102_110526.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
I remeber being on tour and fretting about possible BB failure because of the creaking noise on rotation of the crank. I was back in the UK before I realised it was the sole of my shoe that was causing it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's funny how we cyclists fret about tiny noises, we ought to adopt the Land Rover doctrine and carry on until something drops off. Actually the Land Rover doctrine is: "Carry on driving the vehicle until the noise becomes unbearable for the operator. At this point, consider an overhaul."

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Actually the Land Rover doctrine is: "Carry on driving the vehicle until the noise becomes unbearable for the operator. At this point, consider an overhaul."
Funnily enough that is my usual take on it, but it was starting to get very annoying, so the other day I decided to open them up, I looked at the tech part of the DMR website which shows bushes https://www.dmrbikes.com/files/technical/V8v2ServiceGuide.pdf unfortunately when I opened them up they were ball races which promptly fell apart all over the workshop floor. so I have ended up having to buy a new set, they arrived & were fitted yesterday but due to life getting in the way, (work & hospital visits) I won't get to try them until tomorrow.

Top Bottom