Tight cassette lockring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejayen

Veteran
I'm trying to remove a 7-speed cassette which has either been on the bike since new (l980's) or installed by a bike shop umpteen years ago. The bike has been stored in a slightly damp shed - the chain had a few rusty tight links.

There looks like there's a few spots of surface rust on the smallest sprocket.

I've just got a cheap chainwhip and cassette tool, which are normally fine, but this one's not budging.

I've soaked it in Plusgas.

I'm not the strongest, but I also tried using my foot and putting some body weight into it.

I also tried tightening it first - it made a some sort of noise, but it hasn't helped to slacken it.

I'm not really sure why it's stuck. I think it must be a steel cassette (7 speed) so perhaps two dissimilar metals have bonded together, but I'm not sure about that.

I don't have a vise, and I haven't been able to find a suitable breaker bar to go over the end of the cassette tool.

I'm wondering what my options are! I could get some better tools (I have my eye on an Abbey Crombie) but would that really help?

I'd normally take it to a bike shop, but I can't get off work to take it it in, and I need it sorted within the next day or two.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s all about leverage so if you can increase it by putting a length of steel pipe over your ratchet or whatever you’re using that will do it.

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world”

Archimedes

:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks. Yes, before looking at the bike I wondered if it might be a freewheel, but it does seem to be a cassette.

My lockring tool is this LifeLine one (the curve in the handle means I'm not sure I'll find a suitable breaker bar at home):

CassetteTool.jpg

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I also tried tightening it first - it made a some sort of noise, but it hasn't helped to slacken it.

The noise made as the serrations on the locking ring and the freehub engage with each other is quite distinctive.

If you can get even one recognisable click (in the tightening direction) then I would expect it then to be able to move in the opposite (untightening) direction.

Mind your knuckles, though. :sad:

Reactions: C R

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A cassette of that age could be uniglide. Pretty sure they're a bit quirky to remove. Have got one myself - will have a look when I get home

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks.

I'll have a closer look tonight.

If all else fails, it might be better\cheaper to buy a new wheel!

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
The noise made as the serrations on the locking ring and the freehub engage with each other is quite distinctive.

If you can get even one recognisable click (in the tightening direction) then I would expect it then to be able to move in the opposite (untightening) direction.

Mind your knuckles, though. :sad:
I always wear a pair of winter cycling gloves whenever I do this. 🙃

I've a garden rake that I have used for extra leverage. Just needed a cut in the bottom of the handle to fit the spanner in.

Top Bottom