Tight SPD cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roger44

Im using a pair of Shiman PD A600 Pedals with SH51 SPD cleats, but they are a bugger to get into and very stiff to unclip.
Ive loosened them right off but way too tight.
Is there a smaller SPD cleat I can try or a way to loosen them off even more????

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You have single release cleats, ie just the ankle twisting versions
You can get multi release cleats SH56 which are easier to clip out of.

Add a dab of grease to the retention springs of the pedals, but if you have loosened them off as far as they can go then there's not much more you can do apart from change the cleats to the multi release version to see if that helps. You could also try different SPD compatible cleats like Wellgo's to see if they are better for you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's a little indicator that you can see through a port near the adjuster. The nearer it is to the head of the hex bolt the looser the setting. I think.

OP
OP
R

roger44

Im an engineer, the spring is definetly uncoiled to the max.
screw all the way anti clockwise where is states '-'
I must have a set with particularly heavy spring.
I was wondering if you get softer spring to fit, but niot sure how you would ever wind them up with special tools.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
depends on how tight you like your springs ,
are you used to clipless pedals ?
you can get spd pedals with a light action although the model escapes me atm .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It may be a shoe/pedal compatibility issue.

I had a set of M424 pedals for a while which had a plastic cage around an SPD double sided core. I stopped using them eventually as they interfered with cleat engagement and release. The issue was that the grips of the pedal cage protruded into the rubber of the sole treads. This made pressing the cleat into the pedal difficult and also resulted in resistance when twisting the foot to release.

OP
OP
R

roger44

It may be a shoe/pedal compatibility issue.

I had a set of M424 pedals for a while which had a plastic cage around an SPD double sided core. I stopped using them eventually as they interfered with cleat engagement and release. The issue was that the grips of the pedal cage protruded into the rubber of the sole treads. This made pressing the cleat into the pedal difficult and also resulted in resistance when twisting the foot to release.
I think you might be right

vickster

Legendary Member
I had the same pedals in the past, hated them as could only clip in on one side, but when the clip was actually the right side up, I don't remember any issues with standard Shimano SH51 cleats

vickster

Legendary Member
My son has these pedals and the plastic cage does interfere with the sole of his shoe. We sorted it out by putting a small shim between the cleat and the sole of the shoe to make the cleat stand a bit more proud. They now work fine.
A600s don't have a plastic cage, all metal surely

Top Bottom