Time consuming bike jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So here we have my Gonzales, 5 speed, old steel frame, bought about 2 years ago from a recycle-a- bike place. Guess milage since purchase is about 1,500. Used with sleeks in summer, as "ice bike" in winter.
Few weeks ago I bent the derallieur in the spokes, also bent the frame, lbs fixed that.
Got a few days off, decide to overhaul Gonzales. What I had in mind was to give him a good clean, change the tyres, a new chain :girl:
What I ended up doing over 2 days, with puzzled head alternating between "Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance" and a pot of grease, is the following jobs:
new (to me) wheels, serviced hubs and fitted summer tyres
fitted my trailer's hitch
new back brake cable
new gear cable
fitted a "mock" front derallieur, as the chain had a tendency to come off the big (only) front ring
new freewheel
new chain - had to add links :ph34r:
indexed gears :heat:
removed and greased seat post - got a new saddle rail thingmy, (clamp?) as the old one had sharp edges that ripped my trousers :eek:
fitted a new water cage to match the saddle :wub:

It was not all straight forward: rusty screws, road salt eaten components, my incompetence :laugh: meant what started as a few simple jobs escalated in a myriad of time consuming additions to the tasks at hand.
V-brakes would rub, cables would fray, cones would be either too tight or too lose :rolleyes:
Now I know why bike mechanics are expensive and why the bike is never ready when they say it would be: one small job leads to another half dozen!

Taking Gonzales to my favorite lady bike mechanic next week, get her to check my work in case the bike collapses in a heap after my tinkering.
Needs a new bottom bracket too: could give it a bash? .... if I knew which one to buy.:scratch::laugh:

ScotiaLass

Guru
So here we have my Gonzales, 5 speed, old steel frame, bought about 2 years ago from a recycle-a- bike place. Guess milage since purchase is about 1,500. Used with sleeks in summer, as "ice bike" in winter.
Few weeks ago I bent the derallieur in the spokes, also bent the frame, lbs fixed that.
Got a few days off, decide to overhaul Gonzales. What I had in mind was to give him a good clean, change the tyres, a new chain :girl:
What I ended up doing over 2 days, with puzzled head alternating between "Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance" and a pot of grease, is the following jobs:
new back brake cable
new gear cable
fitted a "mock" front derallieur, as the chain had a tendency to come off the big (only) front ring
new freewheel
removed and greased seat post - got a new saddle rail thingmy, (clamp?) as the old one had sharp edges that ripped my trousers :eek:

It was not all straight forward: rusty screws, road salt eaten components, my incompetence :laugh: meant what started as a few simple jobs escalated in a myriad of time consuming additions to the tasks at hand.
V-brakes would rub, cables would fray, cones would be either too tight or too lose :rolleyes:
Now I know why bike mechanics are expensive and why the bike is never ready when they say it would be: one small job leads to another half dozen!

Taking Gonzales to my favorite lady bike mechanic next week, get her to check my work in case the bike collapses in a heap after my tinkering.
Needs a new bottom bracket too: could give it a bash? .... if I knew which one to buy.:scratch::laugh:
Well done!
It took me best part of 3 days o fit a Cateye computer :laugh:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Although I have just tinkered with the Peugeot and rather enjoyed it my defy and tcr go to the bike shop if they need anything .

Sara_H

Guru
new back brake cable
new gear cable
new freewheel

@Pat "5mph" , you're like Wonder Woman, you are!

Sara_H

Guru
wonder-woman-bik_zps4d187993.jpg

Top Bottom