Time for a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I dunno about Mr Roadkill, but if I were that much of a speed nutter I could go three times as fast in my Gran's mini Metro.

I'm happy just to enjoy the ride.
Well said. If I want to go fast I'll get a motorbike.

That said, don't concentrate on 'average speeds' they get skewed by all sorts of crap, beyond my control. I can quite happily mug people off ( like our 'learned friend' above) if they ride in a manner that causes me issues ( and I frequently have to for safety's sake) but hey, it's all training to me.

That said, one early morning last year, I decided to actually make an effort

A few of the KOM's still stand. It was on a TT bike, at stupid o clock in the morning to be fair, and the top sections were a bit scary, and I did have to back right off later on, but people are still daft enough to keep attempting to 'reclaim' the KOM's. They are welcome to them, the roads are properly sh1te up there ( in fact the very worst of any local council responsible roads in the entire country ), but if someone wants it badly enough, I'm saying nothing.

Last edited:

S-Express

You really don't have a scooby doo, I'll just put you back in the troll box. Clueless is not just the name of a movie.
:laugh::laugh: you've been on the LSD again...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
That said, don't concentrate on 'average speeds' they get skewed by all sorts of crap, beyond my control. I can quite happily mug people off ( like our 'learned friend' above) if they ride in a manner that causes me issues ( and I frequently have to for safety's sake) but hey, it's all training to me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/595777854/overview

A few of the KOM's still stand. It was on a TT bike, at stupid o clock in the morning to be fair, and the top sections were a bit scary, and I did have to back right off later on, but people are still daft enough to keep attempting to 'reclaim' the KOM's. They are welcome to them, the roads are properly sh1te up there ( in fact the very worst of any local council responsible roads in the entire country ), but if someone wants it badly enough, I'm saying nothing.
I don't 'do' Strava so might not be looking at the right page, but I couldn't see any of your KOMs when I looked at the route. The Avenue is not a cyclists' paradise when the traffic is at daytime levels, but the ride down from the Chilworth roundabout to, say, the Cowherds has a steady downward gradient that really should have you racking up the speed on a quiet morning. Even so, quiet or not quiet, shoot or silky roads, solid tyres or not, TT or road, your ride just isn't quick. Not by any measure. You might 'mug off' the students crossing the common, but otherwise I just don't see it. And considering we ride the same roads, I really don't seem to have the same problems with riders or 'wobblies' causing me issues.

Stand too hard on your own dignity and you're going to get called out I'm afraid.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
You sure you posted the correct link for your kom's. Looking at it you are slower than the women and let's face it downhill and short sprint kom's on urban roads
don't mean much anyway.
Just saying.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I don't 'do' Strava so might not be looking at the right page, but I couldn't see any of your KOMs when I looked at the route. The Avenue is not a cyclists' paradise when the traffic is at daytime levels, but the ride down from the Chilworth roundabout to, say, the Cowherds has a steady downward gradient that really should have you racking up the speed on a quiet morning. Even so, quiet or not quiet, shoot or silky roads, solid tyres or not, TT or road, your ride just isn't quick. Not by any measure. You might 'mug off' the students crossing the common, but otherwise I just don't see it. And considering we ride the same roads, I really don't seem to have the same problems with riders or 'wobblies' causing me issues.

Stand too hard on your own dignity and you're going to get called out I'm afraid.

You're having a laugh. It's not 'quick' because it can't be there, it really isn't possible. I can mug off more than just students, I can't be arsed with Faux racing. You forget I've ridden with actual pro riders ( really good ones ) No one ( other than fellow pro's) that I know could hope to hold a candle to these guys, so why so many muppets think they can, is beyond me. You're opinion is your opinion, you are entitled to it, however it means sh1te all to me.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
You sure you posted the correct link for your kom's. Looking at it you are slower than the women and let's face it downhill and short sprint kom's on urban roads
don't mean much anyway.
Just saying.
I'm not sure I did post the right link, it may have been just a commute on the cycle paths I posted, I can't be bothered looking for the correct one, but the Ride I tried to post was one where the KOM's still hold, despite some stravanker's best efforts. This is the point I was trying to make. Strava 'racing' is for proper mugs. It's too easy to blag it, I'm really not losing sleep over what anyone thinks of it. For me, it's just a tool for creating and mapping rides, that people I know on there can download and follow if they wish, I couldnt give a monkey's how fast they do it. For a laugh, I created a couple of 130 + mile 'segments' and oddly, no one has bothered trying to 'get my KOM':laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
:laugh::laugh: you've been on the LSD again...
Until you post any evidence of any rides you've done on a bike ever , rather than just being on here spouting utter sh1te, I shall just treat any tripe you post with the utter contempt it deserves. You seem to like to trap off a lot, but not post any details of any rides you've done. All trap and no rides, makes Jack a dull troll.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Do decathlon take halfords c2w vouchers?
i contacted them and all i got was please contact the store directly .
I think it's down to the individual store. It's worth checking, if you can get even more money off, it makes the bargains better.

S-Express

You're having a laugh. It's not 'quick' because it can't be there, it really isn't possible. I can mug off more than just students, I can't be arsed with Faux racing. You forget I've ridden with actual pro riders ( really good ones ) No one ( other than fellow pro's) that I know could hope to hold a candle to these guys, so why so many muppets think they can, is beyond me. You're opinion is your opinion, you are entitled to it, however it means sh1te all to me.

I met Bernard Hinault once, so I must be right.... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

S-Express

Until you post any evidence of any rides you've done on a bike ever , rather than just being on here spouting utter sh1te, I shall just treat any tripe you post with the utter contempt it deserves. You seem to like to trap off a lot, but not post any details of any rides you've done. All trap and no rides, makes Jack a dull troll.

57292068.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You're having a laugh.
Did it sound like it?
It's not 'quick' because it can't be there, it really isn't possible.
You brought up your abilities, not me! You also forget that I know those roads every bit as well as you do. Now you do have this from 2014...

https://www.strava.com/activities/179955088/segments/5617423945

which is genuinely quick. Respect. Is this the one you meant to post up? Don't thank me. A period of 76kmph on the flat and your Avenue KoM is 7kmph faster than the #2, after which the steps between riders are fractions of a kmph. That's quite quick for somewhere where "you can't be quick". I can't square the guy who posts up a 19kmph ride in another thread to make a point about how fast solid tyres are with someone who can hold 50+kmph on the flat (presumably not using solid tyres).

I can mug off more than just students, I can't be arsed with Faux racing.
Now I'm really confused?!

You forget I've ridden with actual pro riders ( really good ones ) No one ( other than fellow pro's) that I know could hope to hold a candle to these guys, so why so many muppets think they can, is beyond me.
I didn't forget it because I didn't know! Even if I did, how is it relevant? I've ridden with a couple of ex pros. They were faster than me.

Listen - I've been a little intemperate. I took a look initially because I'm a house husband at the moment and, feeling a bit mischievous, I thought I'd give your KoMs a go on Monday. So I look at your Strava link and think WTF - I've been had. The numbers were quite frankly and very literally not worth getting out of bed for. That's not our fault - it was your link!

I've no doubt you pack in the miles. I do doubt that 2014 ride because, lets face it, us cycling fans are a skeptical lot and in my experience someone who's awesome fast over 10km is usually pretty nippy over 100km, and your averages don't give me that sense. Granted, averages hide many a tale, but even so.....

You're opinion is your opinion, you are entitled to it, however it means sh1te all to me.
Likewise. Enjoy your new bike.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well said. If I want to go fast I'll get a motorbike.

https://www.strava.com/activities/595777854/overview

If that ride was done on a TT bike.....i'd give up

Top Bottom