Time for grown up shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

To the other 99.9% it's all tied in with being a 'proper cyclist' BS.

Amen Brother

Ciar

Veteran
I use the Shimano M324 along with SPD and MTB shoes, only ever used this combo for commuting. as stated previously in the thread in London you don't get much of chance to do much but stop at lights, unless you wear Rapha >.<.

otherwise MTB is always Flats and Teva Links, but i shall be investing in 5-10's sooner or later, as all the guys i ride with offroad run them and love em.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've switched my pedals to A520s. They are still SPD but single sided and have a much bigger platform. I could imagine that they would be slightly more annoying to use than double sided PSDs, but they shouldn't be more difficult than single sided road pedals really...

I use these. I find them at least as easy as double-sided. MTB shoes of an equivalent quality should be just as comfortable/stiff/efficient as road shoes.

I do use SPD-SLs for racing.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Do you use the v12's on a road bike?

Yep

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think it makes a difference to the elite racing roadies. To the other 99.9% it's all tied in with being a 'proper cyclist' BS.
GCN agree, the differenece is so minimal assuming your shoes are stiff enough that its not worth worrying about unless your have lost your TUE and need that micro percentage minimal gain :ohmy:
The only thing i dont like about MTB shoes is that because the cleat is recessed overshoes / toe covers het thrashed quicker than on ( im guessing ) a road shoe as you have a bit of clearance on the road shoe due to the cleat .

rivers

How far can I go?
I just swapped to SPD-SLs on my Zoku because I felt like it. I still have SPDs on my Dolce. I used both bikes for commuting, and honestly, the SPD-SLs are a bit of a ball ache going through the city, but once I'm on the B2B, and other long rides in general, I prefer them.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
A variety of opinions - thanks all.

To be clear, I'm not enquiring because I think changing pedals will make me faster. I've been road cycling for about 10 years. I am already as fast as I will ever get (or can be bothered to get) now!

I'd heard that SPD-SL's and the like could be more comfortable because of a larger contact area, resulting in fewer "pressure points". On long rides I get numbness in one of my toes, but perhaps this is just the way it is, and unlikely to be solved by a different pedal system.

I wouldn't consider going back to flat pedals. I slipped off in the wet a couple of times in my early road cycling days, pushing away from a set of traffic lights. And since the second time I nearly went under a skip lorry, I'm off them for life (except to ride my "pub" bike, which never goes any further than... well... the pub).

So reading through this thread it seems the general consensus is that a more road focused system is unlikely to be different enough to justify the outlay. Thanks all for your thoughts though. Interesting to hear different people's points of view, especially those that have tried both systems

I have a pair of these and they're so comfy, I sometimes forget I didn't change to my office shoes, case in point, I've got them on right now:
shimano-m065-mtb-shoe-black-EV220336-8500-1.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a pair of these and they're so comfy, I sometimes forget I didn't change to my office shoes, case in point, I've got them on right now: View attachment 384934
M065s ?
There ok but i found i need thinner insoles , the curse of big foot meant i could feel the holes in the plastic under the insole. had to fill them with blutack .Got some official shimano blue insoles coming so i hope they are better compared to the non shoe specific insoles i have atm .

Top Bottom