Time for grown up shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yeah, I haven't noticed the holes, IIRC, they come with an insert, did you forget to fit it? It was tricky, but I got them in.
Yes i did fit the insert, doesnt cover all the holes though.In fact i fitted a better insert from another pair of shoes as the stock one was more like just a thick piece of paper .

Andrewwright

I’ve tried flats and spd’s, then spd’s with flat inserts on one side, on my main commute bike, but always end up back on spd’s. The reason for flats and the inserts just being the ability to jump on and go in trainers or work shoes, and not have to change to spd’s shoes, now I just change, I use Mtb shoes as they are actually built to walk a few yards in.

J1888

Über Member
Just got these insoles for m065 s , the stock insoles are too thick for my feet .
https://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-universal-insole/aid:468273

Sorry for thread hijack OP, but wonder if these work as an insole like in normal shoes; I've got two pairs of Shimano road shoes, both in EU size 46...found 45 not big enough. However as I have narrow feet, the 46s are a touch roomy. Wonder if I could pop these on top of the existing sole to take away some of that room...

cyberknight

Sorry for thread hijack OP, but wonder if these work as an insole like in normal shoes; I've got two pairs of Shimano road shoes, both in EU size 46...found 45 not big enough. However as I have narrow feet, the 46s are a touch roomy. Wonder if I could pop these on top of the existing sole to take away some of that room...
They are moulded with an instep support and about 2/3rds of the thickness of my stock insoles, it amazing how much a couple of mm can make in tems of wiggle room.If your insoles can be taken out i would try some cheapo insoles from the chemist etc underneath yours it you have that much wiggle room .My issue was the stock ones are too thick for my wide feet , i tried the cheap ones on their own but they were too thin as i could feel the spd plate .

I've been contemplating changing from SPD pedals to Speedplay pedals but it means new shoes with the three fixings Now I am not sure if the fixings for the cleats are the same distance apart as the SPD-SL? or is that just the look type pedals? Also have read some people have had great difficulty getting used to these type of pedals engaging the foot into the pedal would like to hear anybody's thoughts on this subject before I commit to them

cyberknight

I've been contemplating changing from SPD pedals to Speedplay pedals but it means new shoes with the three fixings Now I am not sure if the fixings for the cleats are the same distance apart as the SPD-SL? or is that just the look type pedals? Also have read some people have had great difficulty getting used to these type of pedals engaging the foot into the pedal would like to hear anybody's thoughts on this subject before I commit to them
Seen adaptors for £20 on ebay but thn you need cleats and shoes , may as well just buy the shoes and pedals rather than a half way house.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Surprised no one's mentioned old-school toe clips/straps as an option. I use these on all my road-focussed bikes and once you've got the knack of it they're no both to slip in and out of in traffic as long as you haven't got the straps done up too tight.

Maybe worth considering as an alternative to the MTB SPDs or flats?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I use SPDs on all my bikes but I must admit I've never felt the need to try SPD SL's. I've got the Shimano PD-A530 with SPD on one side and flat on the other on the commuter for flexibility but don't think I've ever ridden it in flats :laugh: On the other two road bikes I've got the touring style single sided Shimano PD-A600's. The mountain bikes have got double sided SPD pedals but I've got some decent flats in the cupboard in case they're ever needed...

I've got 3 pairs of SPD shoes that cater for most occasions - the ones I use for commuting are lace up trainer style specialized jobbies that are easier to walk in but slightly less supportive on the pedal as a result. I only commute 15 miles a day so this doesn't cause me any trouble but might not be suitable for your longer commute... In your situation I'd probably stick with what you know :okay:

My current commuter has SPD-SL but I don't walk in them much and use the bike sometimes for club rides; my previous commuters have all had SPD's and I did go for a drink etc after work. If I was inclined to do any sort of after work activity involving walking they'd be changed to SPD. I really can't see any benefits to SPD-SL other than fashion #VICTIMOFFASHION :blush:. If you're after more support/ power transfer get a stiffer shoe (like BG MTB Sport) and a wider SPD touring pedal. I used these for years and they outsprinted the majority and were comfortable on long rides.

Thanks for all you comments on this but have been told that Speedplay pedals are lighter for one thing and though reading on other forums there seems to be a definite for and against and I reliese now it will mean new shoes as well as the pedals my old shoes are very heavy being a lace up Mountain bike and though it was time to try for lighter shoes plus having had knee troubles this past year have read that Speedplay have more float adjustment than most other clip ins

Top Bottom