Time to change the national anthem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Of course, that wasn't our National Anthem until 1931, Hail Columbia The Gem of the Ocean, and My Country, Tis of Thee being other major contenders at state occasions and baseball games.
Remind me - the tune for My country tis of thee? It slips my mind.

This for English anthem or we may as well declare Isis the winners right now (or something)...

I'm not having a go at anybody race or creed, but I see in the papers the Cof E is loosing it's congregation, if we take the God save the Queen out of it we could end up having to play a different tune to please the minority of this country.

Talking of minorities, the current anthem appears to be written to praise 1 person rather than the other 60 million... :ohmy: We need something which avoids God/s of any flavour, ditto monarchy IMO...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Christians would complain, it's a load of old nonsense.
Episcpopal Hymnal 1979 in the U.S. doesn't have it, due to the flawed theology. But otherwise a great hymn. Everybody thought Jesus visited their country back in the day, adapting religion to the requirements of Nationalism.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Talking of minorities, the current anthem appears to be written to praise 1 person rather than the other 60 million... :ohmy: We need something which avoids God/s of any flavour, ditto monarchy IMO...
But, see, She represents you all, like.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Jerusalem would have been good, but I expect non-Christians would complain.
Probably not that many because I think most would quite like a national anthem with words that some (including the former Bishop of Durham) say calls some churches "Dark Satanic Mills" :laugh: and demands divine energy to be bestowed upon all of us, written by someone acquitted of high treason :smile: There's really a lot of reasons for a wide range of people to love it.

Tim Hall

Probably not that many because I think most would quite like a national anthem with words that some (including the former Bishop of Durham) say calls some churches "Dark Satanic Mills" :laugh: and demands divine energy to be bestowed upon all of us, written by someone acquitted of high treason :smile: There's really a lot of reasons for a wide range of people to love it.
And Ob.Cycling: The FNRTTC to Felpham goes past the pub where he (Blake) was alleged to have made said remarks.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

Blake did appear to have to heterodox opinions, or perhaps he was not theologically well schooled.

When the stars threw down their spears
And watered heaven with their tears
Did he smile his work to see
Did he who made the lamb make thee

What do you mean 'made the lamb'? Begotten not made, mate.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Blake did appear to have to heterodox opinions, or perhaps he was not theologically well schooled.

When the stars threw down their spears
And watered heaven with their tears
Did he smile his work to see
Did he who made the lamb make thee

What do you mean 'made the lamb'? Begotten not made, mate.
Metaphor, innit.

Top Bottom