Time to change the national anthem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another thought, nothing sums up being English quite like The Archers. So we just need a someone to pen some lyrics. Tum te tum te tum te tum...
Tum te tum te tum click!

Short and sweet :smile:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
For an English anthem I would suggest you adopt Malcolm Arnold's English Dances set 2 No. 1 or 4

View: https://youtu.be/HnaxZCdMiO4

No need for words, national anthem lyrics are all vomit-inducingly creepy anyway, instead, you could have the England team of whatever sport-and lets face it, anthems are mainly heard at sporting events-performing a morris dance,; medal winners, instead of standing and mouthing the words they don't know, could perform the official England victory dance, while the English in the crowd do a square dance together.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For an English anthem I would suggest you adopt Malcolm Arnold's English Dances set 2 No. 1 or 4

View: https://youtu.be/HnaxZCdMiO4

No need for words, national anthem lyrics are all vomit-inducingly creepy anyway, instead, you could have the England team of whatever sport-and lets face it, anthems are mainly heard at sporting events-performing a morris dance,; medal winners, instead of standing and mouthing the words they don't know, could perform the official England victory dance, while the English in the crowd do a square dance together.

How to intimidate opponents, New Zealand style - perform a ritual war-dance to prove how manly and aggressive you are.

How to intimidate opponents, English style - mince around in a square with bells on your ankles and big sticks to the accompaniment of an accordion. Because, goddammit, we're so confident of our own superiority we don't mind looking like prats.

colly

Re member eR
But, see, She represents you all, like.

She doesn't represent me !

I don't have any animosity towards the royals but to me they are elevated to almost god like status by the media and establishment.
The reality is they are decended from families of thieves, thugs and gangsters and have their wealth and status through trampling over others. Nothing to look up to and respect there at all.
The current bunch may be fine examples of humanity (or not) but the status given to them is total nonsense.

I'm with @perplexed on this.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think, to be representative, that a national anthem should be about a nation, and its people, and not about the Royals, or one battle, or something like that. But better than Australia's national anthem as well. I also think that a national anthem may express a desire not to extoll the rich and mighty, but to get the poor folk a better life.

Oldbloke

Guru
Another thought, nothing sums up being English quite like The Archers. So we just need a someone to pen some lyrics. Tum te tum te tum te tum...

I remember seeing Billy Connelly in the 70's, this was one of his suggestions then.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Aren't we all a lovely bunch?
Friendly, calm and free-ee,
Chilly beds and tepid beer,
Chips and VAT.
Queen Elizabeth,
Duke of Edinburgh,
Royal family tree -
NHS and Edward Heath,
National Lotter-ee!

Howzat?

Top Bottom