Time to confess..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neddy

... I jumped a red light this morning. Never thought I'd have to say it, but I've got to tell someone as I'm wracked with guilt!

I know it's no excuse, but this is how it happened:
Cycling along a busy road, traffic queued up at a pedestrian crossing, lights on red. I'm cycling up the inside of the queue in an on-road cycle lane. The lights have been on red for a while, so I'm slowing down in anticipation of the lights changing without me having to stop. At that moment, I notice the school crossing patrol, who has been stood in the middle of the road, lower her lollipop sign and return to the pavement, waving her thanks at the car drivers as she does so. (I do take issue with people thanking motorists for stopping at pedestrian crossings, but that's another matter.) She reached the safety of the kerb just as I approached the white line - I forgot all about the traffic light that was still on red and sailed through.
Why do the council go to the trouble of installing pedestrian crossings and then pay someone to operate it?

Off to Hull with you!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
... I jumped a red light this morning. Never thought I'd have to say it, but I've got to tell someone as I'm wracked with guilt!

Cycling along a busy road, traffic queued up at a pedestrian crossing, lights on red. I'm cycling up the inside of the queue in an on-road cycle lane. The lights have been on red for a while, so I'm slowing down in anticipation of the lights changing without me having to stop. At that moment, I notice the school crossing patrol, who has been stood in the middle of the road, lower her lollipop sign and return to the pavement, waving her thanks at the car drivers as she does so. (I do take issue with people thanking motorists for stopping at pedestrian crossings, but that's another matter.) She reached the safety of the kerb just as I approached the white line - I forgot all about the traffic light that was still on red and sailed through.
Why do the council go to the trouble of installing pedestrian crossings and then pay someone to operate it?

It's one of the things that annoys me precisely for the reason you have explained... people see the lollipop person move off the crossing and start to drive away... a few times I've seen people run onto the crossing (perfectly legally as the lights are still on red for traffic) only to be nearly run over by impatient/innattentive drivers.

I'm pretty sure most people are capable of pressing the button themselves...

The "operator" can stop the traffic for longer than the green phase. Remembering that you can still cross on red, but some motorists don't get this and put their foot down as soon as it turns green - obviously these people are put specifically for children etc.

The second reason tends to be... lollipop lady works at school for 20+ years, council puts in crossing, lollipop lady goes bye bye, parents complain (rightly or not), school and council bring back lollipop lady. The crossing can actually help them enter the road themselves (safer for them?).

Really they should see what happens (as I and others it seems have witnessed it) and realise that it would be better suited to wait until the walk phase is ending.

What you are guilty of here though, is not being aware - rather than jumping a red light (imo).

snailracer

Über Member
Motorists are more inclined to stop for a lollipop lady, as hitting one would leave a larger dent in the bonnet than hitting a child.

Top Bottom