Time to get those slime tubes fitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
It looks like it time to get those slime tubes fitted fellow cyclists. Reading the welsh newspapers there seems to be a spate of people scattering drawing pins on popular cycling routes.
There certainly an inconvenience to cyclists, but don't these morons stop and think what grief they may cause innocent dogs going out on there daily walkies.

It looks like it time to get those slime tubes fitted fellow cyclists. Reading the welsh newspapers there seems to be a spate of people scattering drawing pins on popular cycling routes.
There certainly an inconvenience to cyclists, but don't these morons stop and think what grief they may cause innocent dogs going out on there daily walkies.
What differentiates "innocent dogs going out on their walkies" from 'guilty' dogs?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
To be honest i haven't had any problems with any locals whilst cycling through there area. Everybody's been fine and have either said hello or just gone about there own business. At the start of the lock down it did get a few incidents of drivers blasting there horns as they went past and the odd abuse shouted, but that's all seemed to of died down. There seems to be lots more cyclists around than you normally see though. You see the usual regulars, but there is a huge number of new faces out there trying to break the boredom of lock down. I hope after all this frightening business has died down, they will still be there enjoying the fruits of cycling

DRM

Guru
No, they don't think of anything other then their own selfish agenda, with no thought to the consequences, it's not new, it's gone on for years, wood with nails in it buried in byways to puncture 4x4's tyres, oh yes and horses hooves too, wires stretched between trees on bridleways and byways because nasty mountain bikers go down them, people have had nasty injuries due to these imbeciles.

classic33

Leg End Member
Carpet gripper strips, nailed together leaving nails on both sides, making it hard to miss them, were the "in thing" a few years ago. More recently, video tape tied across the roads, between lamp posts/telegraph poles.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's happening regularly on the Forth and Clyde canal
I would have thought they'd just sink to the bottom.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I did use some slime tubes a few years back. They were ok and did actually see them doing there magic once, when i pulled a piece of wire out of my tyre. A quick spin of the tyre and the small hole sealed quickly. The down side i found was that the valves would block up with the gunk making them impossible to inflate. In the very cold the slime would also become very thick and causing heavy spots in the tyre. If your into weight savings on your bike these things are not for you 👍

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I don't think these unsavoury types think about kids feet or animals (they probably hate them too) They're too dumb...

I have been tempted many times to try slime but for everyone that says they're good, you get the same amount saying they're bad. Hard to weigh it up. Obviously, i don't want knackered valves but at the same time i don't want lots of punctures, and ive had a few...

Drago

Legendary Member
I never suffered valve problems, but I was careful to work the valves every few weeks to prevent them gumming up. I once went to change a tyre and have to pee thel tube out where a couple of dozen thorns had penetrated into the tube, but it had remained perfectly air tight.

The rotating mass is the main issue, but i found that when you positively, absolutely had to get there on time they were the most reliable solution bar none. I've had a split tyre tyre that sealant couldn't deal with but an inner tube could, so that didn't help much (or at all).

Now I don't commute it's not quite such a ballache if I have to stop for 10 minutes to swap out a tube so don't slime, but as a belt and braces measure while commuting it never let me down so was worth the niggles.

Having said all that, if someone litters the trail with caltrops I don't think it'll help. What might help is proper forward observation and maintaining situational awareness.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
That may be in South Wales , never had that sort of problem up in North Wales, in fact, can't even remember the last time I had a puncture. It could also be because I don't go out cycling as much as some of you lot. :rolleyes: At the moment, none at all sadly.:sad:

Sharky

Guru
At least it gives hedgehogs a taste of their own medicine. Not that I have ever stepped on a hedgehog.

Top Bottom