Time to say cheerio to my Rourke frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
After years of faithful service and many, many happy miles, its looks like my trusty custom made Rourkie Reynolds 853 frame is heading for the scrap yard.

A few years ago, and just before the start of a 200km audax, the bike was leaning up against a tree while I got ready and a sudden gust of wind blew the bike over onto the edge of a kerb resulting in a small dent in the top tube. Which is just what you want before the start of a long ride!!!! :ohmy:😢

But as well as getting the top tube repaired I also really need to get some other important work done at the same time.

Back in the day, the cables that run under the bottom bracket shell used to run inside a couple of brazed on, short curved tubes. A few years ago, I replaced the Dura Ace triple group set for a 11sp Ultegra group set and the cable for the front mech ran so much tighter (rubbed on it in fact) against the bottom bracket shell as it exited the little brazed on tube than it used to before. Consequently, very slowly the front mech cable was cutting into the bottom bracket, so these two tubes need to be removed and replaced with a drilled and tapped plastic cable guide.

Plus, while its in state of repair, it would make sense to update the two cable adjuster bosses on the down tube, and also update all of the brake and rear mech cable ferrules (2 x on the top tube and 1 x by the rear mech) for the much better and larger split type. Then just to be greedy add a further threaded boss on the rear triangles so the mudguard and rack have their own mounting bosses.

Total cost for all the above work including the respray is likely to be in the region of £400 on a frame that is circa 20 years old. By comparison a brand new made to measure frame in the same material is just over a grand.

A week ago, I was sure that I was going to have it all done regardless of cost, after all its cheaper than a new frame? But after pondering over it for a week, I really don’t think it makes sense now. I should also add, I already have to many bikes and in absolute truth I have no idea when this bike would ever get ridden!!

Rourke Bike.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But as well as getting the top tube repaired I also really need to get some other important work done at the same time.
It may seem like a silly question, but why is 'repairing a small dent in the top tube' considered 'important work'?

It sounds like the bike equivalent of a person getting a few wrinkles in old age! :whistle:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
It may seem like a silly question, but why is 'repairing a small dent in the top tube' considered 'important work'?

It sounds like the bike equivalent of a person getting a few wrinkles in old age! :whistle:

You are of course quite right, getting the dent repaired isnt important and maybe I should have worded it better. The important work is addressing the cable guide under the bottom bracket as currently the front mech gear cable is very slowly sawing thru' the bottom bracket shell.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You are of course quite right, getting the dent repaired isnt important and maybe I should have worded it better. The important work is addressing the cable guide under the bottom bracket as currently the front mech gear cable is very slowly sawing thru' the bottom bracket shell.

A short length of nylon cable sleeving would resolve that problem for now.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Admit it - you just fancy a nice new frame, don't you :laugh:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
A short length of nylon cable sleeving would resolve that problem for now.

I did look at doing this and ideally it would have been good to run the nylon tubing thru' the little tubes then the cable inside the nylon tubing but there simply isn't enough clearance to allow this to be an option. But I did try putting a small section of nylon tubing over the cable on the exit point of the steel tubing, but it didn't stay in situ and gradually "rode" up the cable.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Why not stick a cable guide in place using epoxy/ chemical metal? Fill the groove at the same time.

Yes, and in truth I could drill and tap the bottom bracket shell myself and effect a proper repair. But I need to grind the two small sections of tubing from the BB shell, which I suppose is quite easy to do if I'm being perfectly honest.
In fact, I have nothing to lose now, I might just do that and see how it goes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Easiest fix ? Pop some paint on the area, then use the PTFE liners - you can get a couple of metres off Amazon/ebay - I use two pieces under my BB on my Ribble when I resprayed it to protect the new paint - doesn't have the plastic guides.

Top Bottom