Time to say cheerio to my Rourke frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Aside from perforated BB shells, some simply had grooves cut into the BB with the expectation the cables would wear through. SBDU being one culprit lol

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Phase one completed.

Rourke BB.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
The chain hanger is great if you are transporting a bike in the car, wheels off.

Good to see you are saving a great frame.

That's why I had it put on the frame, but in all the years I've had the frame I've never used it, I prefer to use one of the little jockey wheel things that clamps in the dropouts, saving damaging the paint on the chain pip. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Dropped the frame of today at Brian Rourke's shop and discussed what I wanted doing plus the new colour scheme, which included painting the forks this time.
Got home, then a couple of hours later the shop rang me, they had removed the forks from the frame only to discover that the carbon steerer was cracked in two places. :angry:
So what initially started as being quite a reasonably priced refurb job, has just increased by a couple of hundred quid :ohmy:
On the plus side, better to find the crack now before I ended up in a hedgerow somewhere!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is very bad news that they found those cracks... Curiously, it is also exceedingly good news that they found those cracks so you didn't have to! :whistle:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Trying to find replacement carbon forks with mudguard eyes, suitable for deep drop brakes and to allow 25mm tyres and mudguards proved more challenging than I expected to be honest! :angry:

After spending more hours than I expected to last night, it seems I have two options:-

Spa Cycles, carbon-alloy Audax road fork @ £120.00 plus p&p @ £6.00

Dolan - Alpina full carbon road fork @ £249.98 plus p&p @ £5.98

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Other than the fact I hate those type of brakes with affection, :laugh: I don't suppose the pull ratio would be correct for my shifters?

Cantilevers would be. How much would they charge to make a steel fork?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I did consider that as a possible option, but now I've found the two possible carbon options, I hope that I dont have to revisit having steel forks now.

Interesting. Steel would be my preferred option.

Top Bottom