Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Our weekly club league has re-started and I managed a CB on the A77 last night with a 23:41. I also rode in the CTT Scottish District Championships at the Westferry course on Sunday, first time on that course so I claim a CB there too of 22:46 :-)

So form holding, but looks like PBs from now on will need to be on the faster courses though!

Now preparing for a 25TT, hoping to hit the hour, fingers xd
I need to find a faster course - haven't had an absolute PB since 1969!
But keep hoping

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I need to find a faster course - haven't had an absolute PB since 1969!
But keep hoping
What race were you riding in your avatar pic Sharky?

Sharky

Guru
What race were you riding in your avatar pic Sharky?
Event was an "inter-club" event, on one of the D courses in SW Lancashire.
That was at the finishing line of my first ever 50 on 21/5/67 and my third ever time trial. I punctured and mended the tyre with a patch and recorded 2:36:40.
Won by a Joe (or was it Jim?) Hanley in 2:11:30. Joe was actually a track rider and one of the best sprinters in the UK at the time. He was "king" of the Kirkby track meetings.

A couple of months later, rode my second 50 and recorded 2:15:19 and bagged 1st handicap. Only ever once went faster than this ride a year later and did 2:13:24 on the 50 version of the superfast 02 course.

Carried on improving a little at the shorter distances until 1969, then moved down south, worked in London, got married etc and all the other distractions, so never repeated my fast days, but have kept going most years and did another slow 10 last night.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I never did a 50. Entered one once but a thunderstorm and pouring rain before the start dampened my enthusiasm, so I was a DNS.

Sharky

Guru
58:42 on the CTT Scottish District Championships at Westferry. The hour is conquered! ^_^
Yes well done, I too never got under, although I managed to break the 25mph barrier just once for a 10.

I often wonder what I could have achieved with today's equipment. My best 25 was done on a super fast night and I was just inside 62mins, but the winner "only" did a short "56". Even a rider like Doug Dailey, who was a GB international and went on to be a UK Pro only did a 57 or 58.

A good omen is that my best rides were in 69 and now I am 69, so maybe ……. well if I could get inside 70 mins, I would be pleased.

viniga

Guru
I often wonder what I could have achieved with today's equipment. My best 25 was done on a super fast night and I was just inside 62mins, but the winner "only" did a short "56". Even a rider like Doug Dailey, who was a GB international and went on to be a UK Pro only did a 57 or 58.

A good omen is that my best rides were in 69 and now I am 69, so maybe ……. well if I could get inside 70 mins, I would be pleased.

The kit does make a difference but the top guys a)know how to use that kit b) are really really fit and c) can push high power out in a very uncomfortable crazy aero position too! The winner was under 50mins with an avg speed of over 30mph.

I see people putting out less power than me in similar weight categories and besting me by 30 or more seconds. So I think I can still improve.

Good news in one sense is that the scene here is dominated by vets and older and it was a vet who won. People are staying faster longer it seems. Go get that 70min ride Sharky!

mattobrien

Guru
49:06 for me on the E2/25 at the weekend - a PB by a full 6s ^_^

I did a PB of sorts today, it was my fastest 25miles but my two other 25 milers weren't on a dual carriageway, the B8/25. I started off tentatively but then I got my rhythm/confidence and made a nice pace until I found my self catching a tractor easily and momentarily paused to figure out how I could safely get to the outside lane. Fortunately, another tractor overtook him too and I was able to slot in behind them. Unfortunately I couldn't draft them as too much muck was falling out of their trailer. After the turn the surface was poor (my hand has been giving me jip) and a couple of bad overtakes (despite a completely empty lane) saw me sit up and dodge the debris in the smoother but narrow hard shoulder. With just over 3miles to go I started to close on my minute man, despite being sat up. This gave me new focus, I dropped into the poles again and I reeled him in over the next couple of miles to finish with a 1:02:12.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I managed a PB of 26:14 when I was 40, on 48 x 14* fixed, last event of the season. Then I retired from TTs. I'd only get slower. Basic kit, track bike with conventional spoked wheels and some cheap clip-on Profile aerobars, least flappy jersey I could find and a Buff on my head.

*48 x 15 was actually optimal for this pace on the flat, but the first half-mile of the course was slightly downhill and I couldn't get enough power down on that bit with the smaller gear.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are not supposed to draft.
I thought it was an open secret that the reason why a 'fast course' is fast is because it is busy and riders are drafting traffic! (They may not be riding directly behind vehicles but a vehicle some way up the road or overtaking can still offer significant help to a rider. Even at my modest riding speed, I noticed the help that passing vehicles were giving me yesterday in windy conditions.

Top Bottom