time trialing on a turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
im starting to find this forum less and less useful, as an 'old road man' you'd be willing to try and help a younger generation.

I knew there was a lot of snobbery towards cycle clothing but was unaware that you could be frowned upon for cycling in the wrong manner, i assumed the point of the forum was to be able to get informed and share ideas but instead it seems a place where people can try and dictate the exact form of cycling i should be doing.

I'm doing what a forum is for, offering an opinion. You may choose to agree or disagree. Quite how "cycling in the wrong manner" comes into it I have no idea.
Wear what you want as well, if you wish to spend money on team kit for riding about why should anyone care? Unless someone offers free stuff or better still actually pays, then I prefer plain or club stuff. Just like I choose not to play turbo unless it's horrible outside, or as commented, for a warm up/down when it's required.

gds58

Über Member
Will to live, declining....

Me too!! I don't think I have ever seen such a ridiculous and pointless thread. What a complete and utter load of nonsense! As mentioned by a few members, home trainers of any sort should be used for TRAINING and if used correctly they can be very good for very structured and precise training sessions but these should be as an addition to road miles. Training on a turbo is all about power output and how it is delivered NOT speed which can never be accurate.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Me too!! I don't think I have ever seen such a ridiculous and pointless thread. What a complete and utter load of nonsense! As mentioned by a few members, home trainers of any sort should be used for TRAINING and if used correctly they can be very good for very structured and precise training sessions but these should be as an addition to road miles. Training on a turbo is all about power output and how it is delivered NOT speed which can never be accurate.
Why is it ridiculous? Silly me, I thought this would be a good place to ask questions from more experienced members, I didn't know so I asked, no need to be a tw@t about it.
I've now started training by heart rate, which seems to be improving my on road speed, so is working.

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
It is better to sound stupid for a minute than to remain ignorant for the rest of your life.
ignorant
ˈɪgn(ə)r(ə)nt/
adjective: ignorant
. lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
2. discourteous or rude.

I see evidence of both meanings in this thread. One is understandable, the other is reprehensible.

Have a look at the 3LC DVDs. They'll give you a good workout on your turbo, jifdave. Also, the level of resistance will affect how fast you can go on your turbo. You've made a great investment in buying a turbo which will pay dividends if you train on it correctly. Good luck!

gds58

Über Member
I've now started[B said:
training[/B] by heart rate, which seems to be improving my on road speed, so is working.
Then surely you have answered your own question with the above quoted comment. Turbo Trainers are for Training not racing. You also mentioned in your first post that you are a big lad and again answered your own question by saying that they take no account of rider weight. How can they! just like the fact that they cannot account for inclines, change of wind direction, change of road surface, riders poor position on the bike, loose flappy clothing catching the wind etc etc. If you want to do a Time Trial, enter one and do a proper one but leave the turbo trainer for your warm up and warm down and maybe some interval training in preparation.

Nobody is being rude or discourteous with their comments as this is a free and open forum so we are expressing our opinions which were invited by you. If you don't want other opinions then don't ask the question which you subsequently answered yourself anyway!

Trull

Über Member
I've found my Cyclops Fluid 2 to be really useful - I hook it up to ANT+ sensors on the laptop running Tour De Giro to race other people and its fun. I also use Peri-Pedal alongside a Sufferfest video courtesy of Strava. Importantly I can monitor the heart rate which tells me I am blasting along - that's what is missing from the OP.

OnTheRivet

I'm new to this lark and claim no expert knowledge but I do know turbo's, rollers, spin bikes whatever are training tools and no substitute for the real thing. They are great if you use them correctly (so friends who are experienced riders tell me!) but I absolutely hate them. I would rather ride in freezing rain up a 15% gradient than spend more than 5 minutes on one. When I have sat on one (used one after surgery stopped me going outside) I managed over 35mph but that means absolutely nothing when you go back outside on the real deal.

Use them for training or for convalescing but otherwise make sure you do plenty outside instead

screenman

Legendary Member
I have improved my 10 times on the turbo by putting the fan behind me rather than having it blowing into my face.

I also put 3 telephone books under the back of the turbo lifting the wheel up about 3 inches, I left the front on the floor, this means my turbo rides are all downhill.

Hip Priest

Veteran
If you want to improve your TT times with the use of a turbo, then get on it and ride at lactate threshold for an hour. And ignore the stuff about turbos being for bad weather. Some of the best TT riders I know spend several hours a week training on their turbo, come rain or shine.

oldroadman

Veteran
I have improved my 10 times on the turbo by putting the fan behind me rather than having it blowing into my face.

I also put 3 telephone books under the back of the turbo lifting the wheel up about 3 inches, I left the front on the floor, this means my turbo rides are all downhill.
:laugh::laugh:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
As HIP says above turbo's are very useful for training lactate threshold and targeting increases in FTP. Start by building a good base, then move on to lots of sweet spot work for the lactate and aerobic capacity, then HIIT to target power.

I've found Trainer Road to really help with structured turbo sessions....

Top Bottom