time trialing on a turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I bought a turbo trainer a couple of days ago so tonight i thought id try and ride a quick 10 miles on it and see what i could do.

On the road ive done just over 28 mins on two different out and back courses they were both done around april time.
On the turbo tonight i did 17:59. Usually i would guess a turbo would be quicker due to no wind resistance and no lumps at all but it shocked me how well i could hold a high cadence.
I'm a big lad so is it the case that the turbo can become my great equalizer as it doesnt really matter that im 19st?

has anyone else done a 10 on a turbo? if so what sort of times do people do?

http://www.strava.com/activities/188878101

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I have to say that I never ride trying to achieve a time, I just ride for the pleasure of it.

On the turbo I try to mix it as much as possible. I have 5 settings and I never spend more than a few minutes on one particular setting. I do it this way to make it more fun, otherwise I don't think I would stay on it long enough.

I did 20 miles in 1 hr amd 13 min the last time I used the turbo. I guess the time would go down considerably if I stay on setting 1 but I doubt I could stay long enough to do 20 miles :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A turbo is for training, don't relate any of the speeds into real life. Use it for intervals and training if your leg has fallen off. Otherwise, go ride outside. Turbo's mess with your head. Other than @Rob3rt who does fantastic TT times from lots of VERY structured training on a Turbo. For everyone else, a turbo is good if injured and can't ride road. They mush your mind.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I've never tried to do an all-out 10, and I never enter races, so my times are just the best 10 mile segment which was part of a longer ride.

My best turbo time is 8 minutes faster than my best outdoor time.
The outdoor time ranks 149th on my all-time list.
Overall, my average turbo speed is 3mph higher than my outdoor average.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I reckon I could quite easily beat the 10 mile TT world record on a turbo trainer by not engaging the fly-wheel! :tongue:

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

To be fair I was on resistance 1 (of 10) on a tacx turbo.

With no resistance I'm not sure i could spin fast enough to keep the speed up. I was spinning at 95-108rpm.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I bought a turbo trainer a couple of days ago so tonight i thought id try and ride a quick 10 miles on it and see what i could do.

On the road ive done just over 28 mins on two different out and back courses they were both done around april time.
On the turbo tonight i did 17:59. Usually i would guess a turbo would be quicker due to no wind resistance and no lumps at all but it shocked me how well i could hold a high cadence.
I'm a big lad so is it the case that the turbo can become my great equalizer as it doesnt really matter that im 19st?

has anyone else done a 10 on a turbo? if so what sort of times do people do?

http://www.strava.com/activities/188878101

What do you think the resistance unit is supposed to be simulating? :tongue:

Ultimately you have the resistance set too low or the turbo you bought lacks resistance, this is fairly obvious from your cadence statement!

BSRU

A Human Being
If I tried to maintain +30mph on my CycleOps JetFluid Pro my legs would explode within a couple minutes, probably less.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

What do you think the resistance unit is supposed to be simulating? :tongue:

Ultimately you have the resistance set too low or the turbo you bought lacks resistance, this is fairly obvious from your cadence statement!

it was more about getting sweaty and having a spin, was probably like running downhill but even so my hr was 163ave and peaked at 184bpm.
As i said it was my first go on a turbo, i was on resistance 1 of 10 so there is plenty of scope to improve the training method.

@Rob3rt do you have any links to site that offer up good training methods?

Top Bottom