Tingling leg pain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve1967

Hi all, I have been riding road bikes for about 6-7 yrs, over the past year or two, i have been getting tingling pain in my right leg and also numbness and saddle pain. i have had 3 bike fits in 4 yrs , tried several saddle and bought new shoes, but the pain/ tingling continues ...
it has got to the stage where i'm in discomfort for days after a ride, these ride have got shorter over time to just managing 50k..or less previously ive been able to do 100-150k. Doctor just offer physio and pain killers
anyone else gone through similar and what was the out come.
at the moment i feel my cycling days are over..

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sounds either like impinged sciatic nerve or maybe piriformis? Probably best bet would be a good sports physio rather than a doctor to be honest.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed, what did the physio say? (Or have you not taken up the doctor‘s offer over the 4 years?)
I’d find a private sports physio who has bike knowledge and preferably also does bike assessments/fits (forget the bike shop fits unless the fitter is a trained medic as they don’t seem to be helping - a full physio assessment will cost less).
Do you have pain other than on the bike?
Do you have a regular stretching programme? A physio can advise once a diagnosis is made

Chief Broom

Veteran
Give up the drop bars for an upright flat barred bike? if it is sciatica the hunched over position could bring it on. I get sciatica and woundnt even consider drop bars.

grldtnr

Give up the drop bars for an upright flat barred bike? if it is sciatica the hunched over position could bring it on. I get sciatica and woundnt even consider drop bars.
Get a recumbent, come over to the dark side of comfy chair cycling, it might not cure your particular problem, & relearning laidback layabout cycling has a learning curve, but your not outstretched, are full supported, but you can truly say your a laidback layabout without irony.

Have you got a wedge or shim in your shoes/cleats? As part of any of your bike fits did they ever do a pressure mapping of the saddle? A common problem is one leg shorter than the other, in normal life it has no effect but because cycling is a front foot sport a difference of 1-2mm can make a huge difference to your comfort levels.

I would recommend Phil Burt formerly of British Cylcling and his videos on You Tube in collaboration with Katie Kookaburra and Cam Nicholls with his fitter videos too (the name escapes me). There is also James from Bike a fit Tuesdays on Francis Cades channel which provide more generic advice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hard to describe. But I'll try.

Stand next to a counter or a wall with the wall on your right hand side. So your shoulders are at 90 degrees to the wall. Try to keep them like this throughout. Put you right hand on the wall/counter to balance. . Put feet in line with each other left foot in front right behind. Now move your right foot away from the wall so your legs are crossed but keep shoulders straight. Now push your right hip towards the wall bending your left knee.. This stretches the outside of your right hip and thigh and up your right side. Reverse for left side.

Sounds more complicated than it is.

Top Bottom