Tipping Point (is it rigged)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Edd China, who used to be the mechanic on Wheeler Dealers, now has his own YouTube channel, called (I think) "Workshop Diaries". On last week's episode, he had Paul, the mechanic who often helped him with jobson the TV show, on the YouTube channel, reminiscing about the T V show. It turns out that Paul did a lot of "behind the scenes" jobs on the cars, whilst the producers usually selected 4 items on each car as the "headline stories" which Edd would work on.
Yup - saw that
In fact a great channel for anyone who watched/watchs Wheeler Dealers and keeps thinking 'can we get to the interesting bits and stop the bits with Mike waffling'

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know about Tipping Point, but I'm always suspicious of claims that this or that is rigged. It will be more complicated to rig than not, so you need to get significant benefit from doing so in order to make it worthwhile.

An example that springs to mind is a card game I play on my phone. The reviews are full of claims that it's obviously rigged. It isn't rigged, these are just frustrated poor players who keep losing. I play it (far too much) and I win slightly more than I lose. What benefit would a game author get from writing a rigged game? It would be much more complex than a fair game.

As I say, I don't know much about Tipping Point, but what benefit would the producers get from going to all the trouble of rigging the game? To prevent contestants from winning? That would only be worthwhile if the prizes are really huge. How big are the prizes? Would it make the program more exciting?

I think it's always worth being a bit sceptical about claims of complex conspiracies and ask who would benefit and how difficult is the subterfuge. Is it worth the effort?

The cases of "spontaneous" programs being scripted are different. In this case it's a lot easier to script something than hope that spontaneity is interesting (it generally isn't)

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
Our guilty pleasure is rather enjoying TP followed by The Chase followed by Richard Osman’s House of Games……it’s a natural slide from the tasks of the day into the evening 😜
I figure it is “not too stressful brain training”, totally justifiable and in no way just ‘daytime TV’ 🤪
We also enjoy pub quizzes….I should probably apply to go on The Chase or TP….although I’d worry about making this kind of howler 🤣
Hailing from the holiday IOW, I always loved arcades as a kid, & the coin dozer would always be the place to throw away a few pennies…..

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I do like a bit of House of Games, particularly Answer Smash. its like a poor mans Missing Vowels round on that hard quiz thing Victoria Coren Mitchell hosts.

I am worried that Blankety Blank might not be taken entirely seriously by the host and celebs though....

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't know about Tipping Point, but I'm always suspicious of claims that this or that is rigged. It will be more complicated to rig than not, so you need to get significant benefit from doing so in order to make it worthwhile.

An example that springs to mind is a card game I play on my phone. The reviews are full of claims that it's obviously rigged. It isn't rigged, these are just frustrated poor players who keep losing. I play it (far too much) and I win slightly more than I lose. What benefit would a game author get from writing a rigged game? It would be much more complex than a fair game.

As I say, I don't know much about Tipping Point, but what benefit would the producers get from going to all the trouble of rigging the game? To prevent contestants from winning? That would only be worthwhile if the prizes are really huge. How big are the prizes? Would it make the program more exciting?

I think it's always worth being a bit sceptical about claims of complex conspiracies and ask who would benefit and how difficult is the subterfuge. Is it worth the effort?

The cases of "spontaneous" programs being scripted are different. In this case it's a lot easier to script something than hope that spontaneity is interesting (it generally isn't)

£10,000 jackpot with a chance of £20,000 if the 'double' goes over with the jackpot counter.

View: https://youtu.be/jrEpP9VIg7Y

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
£10,000 jackpot with a chance of £20,000 if the 'double' goes over with the jackpot counter.
Cheers

tbh I'd be surprised if saving the odd 20k here and there would make it worth their while first of all inventing a machine that was too likely to pay out and then compensating by inventing a secret fiddle to make it less likely to pay out. It all seems a bit too complex to me. But hey ... I don't watch it (at least not often ... I have seen it a couple of times) so what do I know?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cheers

tbh I'd be surprised if saving the odd 20k here and there would make it worth their while first of all inventing a machine that was too likely to pay out and then compensating by inventing a secret fiddle to make it less likely to pay out. It all seems a bit too complex to me. But hey ... I don't watch it (at least not often ... I have seen it a couple of times) so what do I know?
I don't think they 'fiddle' it to not pay out but more to add to the drama of the show.

Drago

Legendary Member
For that matter, why do they send national news reporters hundreds of miles to present news 'live' from the location... it's often got dark, it's usually freezing cold, it's raining and it's windy but they still have to 'go over live' to the poor reporter standing in front if a dejected cameraman and sound recordist, several hours after the news story broke and everyone else has gone home.
Indeed. Being stood 200 metres from the scene of the train crash/massacre/discovery of Boris Johnson's corpse means that theyre dozens of miles from places where the real information is to be found, such as policemforce press conferences, etc.

And when something big happens, why do they interciew neighbours who sqw little or nothing, but heard a very big bang and looked out the window to see some coppers running past? It adds zero to the story, and subtracts from the credibility of the news outlet.

Top Bottom