Tips for wild camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello

I've decided to cycle to the family holiday in Wales from Milton Keynes and would rather camp than b and b it. my route takes me through Worcester but I cant find any campsites that will accept tents. I would also like to be a little flexible on where I stay hence the wild camping idea.

my question is what are the guidelines and pitfalls regarding wild camping? and what tips can you give a newbie.

ive got the kit I need but don't want to ruin someone's day by camping on land that I thought may be fine to do so but isnt.

any answers would be gratefully received.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wild camping is simple, almost anywhere. It is even easier if you don't have to get your tent out. I have slept in bus shelters doorways of dozens of types of buildings. Loading bays, school grounds, church yards, bike sheds, multi storey car parks. There are lots of places to wild camp without a tent.

My rules are

Set up late
Leave early
Try to get out of view
Leave the area so nobody knows that you have been.
If you are found and asked to leave, do it politely.
Being told you are not supposed to be there by a passer by, is not the same as being asked to leave.

I have wild camped all over Europe and have never had a problem.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Wild camping is simple, almost anywhere. It is even easier if you don't have to get your tent out. I have slept in bus shelters doorways of dozens of types of buildings. Loading bays, school grounds, church yards, bike sheds, multi storey car parks. There are lots of places to wild camp without a tent.

My rules are

Set up late
Leave early
Try to get out of view
Leave the area so nobody knows that you have been.
If you are found and asked to leave, do it politely.
Being told you are not supposed to be there by a passer by, is not the same as being asked to leave.

I have wild camped all over Europe and have never had a problem.

Thanks Steve, appreciate that. I take the point of setting up late and leaving early, and not leaving a mess.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
The OP asked about wild camping, but I would suggest you are describing the rules for stealth camping which is a very different activity. Wild camping requires no secrecy or attempts to disguise your presence and is legally permitted in some countries, but not in others.

my worry is getting shot by a 'friendly' farmer who's been on the scrumpy ^_^. I assume finding the land owner may be difficult in some areas so don't want to put anyones nose out of joint - especially if they have a gun.......

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
my worry is getting shot by a 'friendly' farmer who's been on the scrumpy ^_^. I assume finding the land owner may be difficult in some areas so don't want to put anyones nose out of joint - especially if they have a gun.......

Stephen Primrose Smith went all the way to Gibralter wild camping. A lot of the time in farmers fields. I must have missed the headline about the wild camper being shot by the farmer :0). I have problems refusing a second dinner in the past.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The OP asked about wild camping, but I would suggest you are describing the rules for stealth camping which is a very different activity. Wild camping requires no secrecy or attempts to disguise your presence and is legally permitted in some countries, but not in others.

Wild camping and Stealth camping are very similar in my book. Unless you are in either Scotland or Norway and even then I try and get out of the way. It may be legal to wild camp in both countries but it does not mean the natives like it.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Wild camping and Stealth camping are very similar in my book. Unless you are in either Scotland or Norway and even then I try and get out of the way. It may be legal to wild camp in both countries but it does not mean the natives like it.

that's also my point of view, I don't want hassle from locals, hence not wanting to put someones nose out of joint.

Top Bottom